Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 24, 2013   #1
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default Taste testing etiquette

When attending a tomato tasting event, is it rude to pocket sample pieces of tomato for seed-saving purposes, assuming of course that there are no seeds being offered for sale?

Just wondering......

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #2
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Wow, that is very thoughtful of you to ask before embarking on a seed saving mission
You're fortunate to be able to attend such an event! I would imagine it would be gross to do that in a public happening - just as it is considered gross to save and pocket stuff from a buffet table for further use...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I've held many taste testing events and have made it perfectly clear that no pieces of the sliced tomatoes go anywheres other than into the mouth of each taster.

Many times I was offering tastes of rare varieties before seeds were even available through my SSE listings or more recently, I was doing this until the walker stopped that, and as far as I know, everyone complied.

I do think it's rude for people to take fresh slices with seeds but I do know it happens. Make it known before hand no way, and enforce it and tell them why.

Carolyn
Old July 25, 2013   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies ladies. I wouldn't want to be thought of as rude, much as I would be tempted to save some seeds.

Linda
Old July 25, 2013   #5
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

When we had the Mid-West Fest, it seemed like it was a seed swap as well as a tasting party. Several asked whether they could save seeds from certain varieties; but they always asked the individual who brought the tomato. Never noticed anyone who was uncomfortable in sharing.
Old July 25, 2013   #6
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™

I think that the answer depends on the event and its organizers' rules. I've only attended the Rutgers Great Tomato Tasting. There, the volunteer Master Gardeners that were doing the slicing and serving were quite receptive to seed saving and they were happy to dish seeds from the serving plates into baggies that the guests brought with them for that purpose. I didn't bring home anything myself, but many others did.
Personnaly, I don't think it rude to ask about seed saving, either by phone or email before the event, or when you arrive. But again, my experiance is limited.

Jim
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I ask first...

and have never had anyone say no. There were no very rare varieties that someone wanted to later offer/sell seed and not have any competition. I would only like the very best tasting (to me) tomatoes at an event, so I would compliment the farmer/gardener how amazing their tomato tasted, and tell them that they really know what they are doing.

I do not think that I am normal enough (or Canadian enough) to give an opinion as to what is, or isn't rude, as I would bring a 100 pack of 2" x 3" re-sealable clear plastic baggies and a permanent marker to such an event.

I would also bring packs of seeds from my collection, offering more varieties of mine for less varieties (slices) of theirs. It worked for me, and them. I've been offered whole tomatoes, let alone slices, in exchange for my seeds.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #8
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Wow, that is very thoughtful of you to ask before embarking on a seed saving mission
You're fortunate to be able to attend such an event! I would imagine it would be gross to do that in a public happening - just as it is considered gross to save and pocket stuff from a buffet table for further use...
Uh-oh. There goes my buffet seed searches.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #9
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I ask first...

and have never had anyone say no. There were no very rare varieties that someone wanted to later offer/sell seed and not have any competition. I would only like the very best tasting (to me) tomatoes at an event, so I would compliment the farmer/gardener how amazing their tomato tasted, and tell them that they really know what they are doing.

I do not think that I am normal enough (or Canadian enough) to give an opinion as to what is, or isn't rude, as I would bring a 100 pack of 2" x 3" re-sealable clear plastic baggies and a permanent marker to such an event.

I would also bring packs of seeds from my collection, offering more varieties of mine for less varieties (slices) of theirs. It worked for me, and them. I've been offered whole tomatoes, let alone slices, in exchange for my seeds.

Gary
Oh Gary!

You are so polite that you would qualify as an honorary Canadian! (I can say that 'cos I'm British by birth.)

I don't see a reason why the group holding the heirloom tomato tasting event would object to someone saving a few seeds for their own use, so I will ask first and go armed with some baggies. Maybe they might even be interested in accepting some seed from varieties that I am growing!

Thanks,
Linda
Old July 25, 2013   #10
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Uh-oh. There goes my buffet seed searches.

Ha!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #11
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

When folks have come to Tomatopalooza[tm] in the past, we've
specifically given permission to save seeds at the start of the
tasting. (Thus preventing anyone from needing to ask!) However, we also clearly specified which tomatoes were off
limits to seed saving. This included the unstable dwarf variety
table and special tomatoes being grown out for the following year's seed distribution.

A few folks would always come late to these events, so I ended
up spending the afternoon "guarding" these off-limits tables.

I can think of a number of reasons why folks would not want seed saved... not isolated, diseased, or experimental... so the best bet is to ask.

Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Oh Gary!

You are so polite that you would qualify as an honorary Canadian! (I can say that 'cos I'm British by birth.)

I don't see a reason why the group holding the heirloom tomato tasting event would object to someone saving a few seeds for their own use, so I will ask first and go armed with some baggies. Maybe they might even be interested in accepting some seed from varieties that I am growing!

Thanks,
Linda

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #12
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I kind of agree with the consensus. Is it rude to just pocket the seeds? Absolutely. Is it rude to ask? No question is a bad question, and Gary's idea of bringing trades is a good one.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #13
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

People who come to my party thankfully realize that seed taking should be done at the end of the party once everyone has had a chance to sample the varieties.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote