Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 17, 2006   #1
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Default Orange Boondocks PL

Okay that should get the attention of everyone, now let's talk.

The tomato from thread "Wow! Persimmon?" ...that I assumed was probably a long lost renegade persimmon seed, that got mixed up in my boondocks seedlings that I gave away turned out to be indeed a potato leaf. So, now I have grown a pure orange (not gold or yellow) potato leafed tomato. Very large potato leaf type leaves, too. What do I have here? The boondocks seed was from TGS. Boondocks is PL, the seedling was PL, but the fruit is orange. A beautiful orange by the way. Not a dark orange like the fruit, but a paler orange. The fruit was a not a globe or even roundish, but was longer then higher. The one I had was about 14 ounce. He had bigger. It was blemish free. Seemed meaty to look at, but has lots of seeds.
Could TGS have given me wrong seed? I don't recall them having an orange PL.

CECIL
Old September 18, 2006   #2
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Orange Boondocks PL

Cecil,
Mixips (or accidental crosses) do occur with seeds from reputable companies and individual seed savers. I too had such an occurrence this year with what I supposed was German Red Strawberry, a red RL variety. The seed was from a well known individual that grows out many different varieties both RL and PL. You should notify the company or individual about the mixup.

Lo and behold when growing it (the supposed GRS) out I was presented with 3 huge PL plants with 13 oz bright orange fruits. It was obviously not GRS but an F2 cross of some kind that gave the orange, flattened globe shaped fruits. I have named the new PL variant (or accidental cross) Spudayellow Strawberry and will grow it out next year to check for stability.
You too should do the same things: notify TGS about the mixup, rename the new orange PL to avoid confusion with the red PL Boondocks, then grow the new orange PL out to check for stability.

Best regards,
Bill
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2006   #3
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

If you wanted to keep it ...
not sure of what it really is ...
I'd be interested in growing it out further with you
if you have extra seed, as I loooove orange tomatoes ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote