Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old January 20, 2015   #1
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Default How to build and maintain rich garden soil

I found this blog. Interesting because although simplified and basic enough anyone can understand it, it is also quite comprehensive, touching on all the major resources a home gardener has at their disposal.

How to build and maintain rich garden soil

I realise a lot of the members here already understand pretty much everything here. Yet it is still a very good resource when we want to get back to basics. And for new gardeners, invaluable.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2015   #2
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Scott,

Thanks for the link. It does reinforce some important principles on building up a good soil. And as for beginning gardeners, I sent my daughter the link, so she can get a better understanding that growing vegetables involves putting back nutrients into the soil to keep getting good results.

George in Colorado

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2015   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I love that pic of the tricolor goat at the bottom of that page. They remind me of my calico cat.

Something I've been wondering lately, shouldn't all the principles of soil management apply to container growing as well? I'm planning on trying a grow mix of compost and old hay, and then mulch it with mostly-rotten wood. It seems like I should be able to make a little ecosystem out of each tomato's container.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2015   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I love that pic of the tricolor goat at the bottom of that page. They remind me of my calico cat.

Something I've been wondering lately, shouldn't all the principles of soil management apply to container growing as well? I'm planning on trying a grow mix of compost and old hay, and then mulch it with mostly-rotten wood. It seems like I should be able to make a little ecosystem out of each tomato's container.
I think ask the container guys. They are far more knowledgeable about it. I have grown in containers once a very long time ago. I used 50% vermiculite and 50% composted cow manure in grow bags. That worked well for me that one time, but I prefer soil outside. Never tried it again.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote