Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 31, 2016   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Golden Sunrise

I was googling and reading definitions of this tomato and one of the sites said

" Medium-sized yellow tomatoes with a distinctive flavor. Resistant to greenback. For cultivation under glass or outdoors. "

Can somebody, please tell me what does "resistant to greenback mean?" Is it a disease?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #2
imp
Tomatovillian™

Never heard that turn of phrase before, but that doesn't mean much as there is lots I have never heard of. Maybe it holds out for a higher price at market?

Sorry, being silly now.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #3
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Greenback

Okay, here's what I found when I googled "what is tomato greenback?":

"Hard green areas on the ‘shoulder’ of the fruit: This is known as greenback. These areas remain hard and unpalatable as the rest of the fruit ripens. The causes are usually excess light, high temperatures, and/or insufficient feeding."

and here is the link to the whole page that discusses it in detail:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=392

I never heard of this before.. Learn something new every day!
Thanks for posting the question!

I had this happen to my big heart tomatoes last year (Kosovo) along with a lot of sun scald. This year they'll be growing in cages instead of staked.
Whodathunkit?
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #4
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

http://gardener.wikia.com/wiki/Greenback

Quote:
Greenback, Green shoulders or Yellow shoulder disorder is a condition of ripening tomatoes. The disorder is caused by high temperatures and too much exposure to sunlight.[1] As the tomato ripens the chlorophyll fails to break down or breaks down very slowly causing the stem-end of the fruit to remain green.[1] The disorder is more prevalent in heirlooms and larger tomatoes, but is generally bred out of hybrid varieties.[1] There are some tomato varieties that will naturally have a green tint on top.[1]
Didn't hear of it before either. Thompson Morgan uses the term, and so do others it seems. http://www.thompson-morgan.com/disea...mato-greenback
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #5
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Never heard that turn of phrase before, but that doesn't mean much as there is lots I have never heard of. Maybe it holds out for a higher price at market?

Sorry, being silly now.
No need to be sorry. When I googled greenback, all I got was the greenback dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Manhattan View Post
Okay, here's what I found when I googled "what is tomato greenback?":

"Hard green areas on the ‘shoulder’ of the fruit: This is known as greenback. These areas remain hard and unpalatable as the rest of the fruit ripens. The causes are usually excess light, high temperatures, and/or insufficient feeding."

and here is the link to the whole page that discusses it in detail:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=392

I never heard of this before.. Learn something new every day!
Thanks for posting the question!

I had this happen to my big heart tomatoes last year (Kosovo) along with a lot of sun scald. This year they'll be growing in cages instead of staked.
Whodathunkit?
I thought the link would never load. Some days I hate dial up, but it better than nothing.

I read the article. Very interesting and also discovered that there is another term I hadn't heard of either on that report. Whitewall.

From the site:

"Blotchy ripening and internal areas of white or yellowish tissue: Known as whitewall, the causes, as for greenback, are usually excess light, high temperatures, and/or insufficient feeding. "

I also noticed further down the page it said to much deleafing can cause this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
http://gardener.wikia.com/wiki/Greenback

Didn't hear of it before either. Thompson Morgan uses the term, and so do others it seems. http://www.thompson-morgan.com/disea...mato-greenback
That was interesting to read that it can be found on heirlooms. I sometimes see pics of heirlooms and the tops are all green. I wondered if maybe they just picked the tomatoes early and was going to ripen them inside. Now maybe it might be this greenback.

With growing heirlooms, it will be something now that I know about it to keep my eye out for, for sure.

Thanks so much for finding the information. I appreciate it. Seems there is always something new to learn about tomatoes. They do keep us on our toes.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #6
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

I think what they are calling "whitewall" is the same thing as I mean by sun scald.
My sunburned big hearts would have their sun-facing side/s blanched and hardened, because of their (over)exposure to sun and resultant sunburn.

It really hurts to have to discard 1+ pound tomatoes because they were rendered inedible.

No more pruning except for disease. Yes, I have graduated from stakes to cages for ALL of my plants. Am ordering my first trial set of Texas Tomato cages just for this reason.

P.S. I feel your pain. Dial-up totally sucks. I pay a small fortune for an air card so I can get decent internet. The sad thing is with an air card you end up paying by amount of data used, rather than speed, and it is difficult to stay under 10 Gig data per month because of all the video spam that gets loaded and just chews up your allotted data quota. Wish we had fiber out here..

Last edited by TC_Manhattan; March 31, 2016 at 07:14 PM.
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote