Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 13, 2012   #1
sprout
Tomatovillian™

Default Fall planting in N. California?

Hi folks,
I was thinking of giving fall planting a go here in Los Gatos, CA. I've never attempted it, but it seems possible. Looking for varieties, and planting times, etc.
I'm also pondering taking cuts from my existing plants to get a head start.
My garden is looking great this year, finally! We've been hit with the dreaded tomato russet mite, and psyllids the last couple years. It's been really discouraging.
Any suggestions?
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2012   #2
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Are you asking about just tomatoes?
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2012   #3
sprout
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, yes. I'm planning on growing greens and other cool crop veggies, but I'm curious about tomatoes.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2012   #4
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Sprout,

I started my fall tomato crop down here (San Diego) July 1st. Somewhere, on one of his posts, Raybo has a planting schedule that would probably be close to what would work for your area. You will want to get some tomatoes set before the nights get too cold.

Good luck!
Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2012   #5
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I tried fall toms last year but got few. This year what I am doing different is planting mostly determinates and/or early DTM varieties. Day length starts to shorten and temps cool off as we get into Fall. Both of these things prolong the time until harvest. Last year I ended up having to ripen the few that set indoors, wrapped in newspaper, which does work BTW!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2012   #6
janezee
Tomatovillian™

I'd be interested in how you do with that. I'm planning on a Red Robin and a Lime Green Salad for the cloche this fall, myself.

jane
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2012   #7
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying some fall toms this year as well. I planted out my fall items 3 weeks ago and have 6 more clones ready to plant out as we speak. Down here in Socal we dont have issues with frost or rain but the length of day is what im worried about. I will also be doing greens and other fall items...we'll see.
Regarding which varieties to use. I agree with the idea of using Determinates since you will be able to pick at partial blush and harvest most of the plant prior to the weather turning horrible.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2012   #8
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Another thing I did last year to prolong the harvest was just cut the plant down and bring in the branches with the fruit on them for them to ripen at their own speed. I still had SunSugars for Thanksgiving, but they tasted bogus by Christmas.

j
Old July 13, 2012   #9
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I had maters ripened wrapped in newpaper for Christmas last year that tasted pretty good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01-01-2012 001.jpg (73.2 KB, 10 views)
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2012   #10
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Sprout-Just down the road from you here. I think the begining of July to mid July is ideal for fall planting. But trying some suckers would be a good idea. Good luck.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2012   #11
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

A retired nursery owner from southern Calif. has been selling "fall tomatoes" at northern Calif. nurseries for the past few years -- $5 per plant! iirc he's usually in town in August, which is much too late to start tomatoes in my garden, unless all I want is a tomato or two for seed. It depends on your microclimate and how far you're willing to go to protect them. All my garden tomatoes die with the first freeze around Dec. 1, but a mile away a potted tomato survived all winter because it was next to a house. By Oct. 15 my spring-planted tomatoes are just about surviving because night temps are below 50-55F. I still get a few, but they don't have the taste of warm season tomatoes.

His name is Steve Goto and he also recommends specific amendments. I started using John and Bob's Soil Optimizer (humic acid) for all my tomatoes after I heard his spiel a few years ago.

http://www.gotomato.us.com/2011/07/0...ason-tomatoes/

http://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/...on-2569895.php
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2012   #12
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting reading! I'm planting some seeds tomorrow, and hoping that a hoop house will assist in ripening in the fall. Our first frost date is usually 10/31, but it gets lots darker here lots earlier. I'm game to try with some Frühe Liebe, Glacier, and maybe some Moravsky Div. We're supposedly coming into our 'summer.' It's 68º here today, and predicted to be cooler tomorrow!