Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 22, 2012   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default that "chinense" taste and smell

i have eaten maybe a dozen different chinense peppers. all were pretty hot to very hot. they all exhibited a similar smell when cut open and taste and their seeds stunk up my seed box with this smell. fatalii seems to have the lowest level of this smell and taste yet when i cut one open i get hit with that "chinense" smell. is this trait due to the level of capsaicin in the chinense peppers or is it just a trait of chinense peppers?

long red slim cayenne (an annuum) and tabasco (a frutescens) don't have this smell and taste yet they are hot tho nowhere near as hot as chinense peppers.

i really decided i don't care for chinense peppers due to this smell and taste tho i like the heat. what the heck causes this?

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2012   #2
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I think it's the capsaicin, if you try some of the Caribbean seasoning peppers that aren't hot they can have a distinctly fruity aroma.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2012   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i thought that too but it was just a guess. my seed box still has that smell in it and it's been almost 12 full months since the seeds were put in it. i doubt it will ever go away. i gave away most of the seeds keeping a few of each in case i wanted to grow them but frankly i'm not sure i want to. that smell just gets to me. in salsa it's not bad but when i cut them or add them to say a salad, i just don't like it.

mark, you want me to email the picture of the peppers you emailed to me last summer or do you still have it?

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2012   #4
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Thanks but no, I've got way too many pictures of tomatoes and peppers as it is.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2012   #5
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

I read there is 5 or more different capsaicin chemical compounds that can be found in a pepper. Some last longer, some hit your tongue and some effect your throat more. Maybe one of them is more prevalent in chinense peppers which give them that smell and not all peppers?
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2012   #6
dahoss2002
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
i have eaten maybe a dozen different chinense peppers. all were pretty hot to very hot. they all exhibited a similar smell when cut open and taste and their seeds stunk up my seed box with this smell. fatalii seems to have the lowest level of this smell and taste yet when i cut one open i get hit with that "chinense" smell. is this trait due to the level of capsaicin in the chinense peppers or is it just a trait of chinense peppers?

long red slim cayenne (an annuum) and tabasco (a frutescens) don't have this smell and taste yet they are hot tho nowhere near as hot as chinense peppers.

i really decided i don't care for chinense peppers due to this smell and taste tho i like the heat. what the heck causes this?

tom
I know what you mean about the smell and taste. I ate a Ghost the other day slowly with lots of other food and besides the heat, the taste isnt that great. I dried some Ghosts and Fatalis for a superhot powder to use here and there and hot is the only taste it has. I did make a salsa with Ghosts, Fatalis, mangos and lime juice which might have been your recipe come to think of it. Its pretty good.
I dried some red jalepenos and red hungarian hot wax and both are tasty although the jalepenos take forever to dry. They have a kinda sweet / hot taste. much tastier than the Ghost and Fatali.
dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote