Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 16, 2006   #1
travis
Tomatovillian™

Default 5-Gallon Container Varieties & Techniques

Okay, I know this subject has been about beaten to death here and at other forums, but ...

5-gallon containers like pickle buckets, lard tubs, drywall mud buckets, etc., are so readily available, have handles, and are dirt cheap. I just bought 20 never used buckets for a buck apiece, and the guy had a hundred more without handles that he only wanted 75c apiece for.

All that's left to do is drill some drain holes, poke in a wick, and fill'm with some good growing media.

BUT ... here's the thing I need to know. I had trouble last year with some varieties, especially big indeterminates, and particularly a couple of potato leaf pinks that don't produce a whole lot under ideal in-ground conditions.

What I would like to see discussed is you folks' best experiences with 5-gallon containers and with regard to varieties that did well, how frequently you had to water and fertilize, and any other special instructions specifically for 5-gallon containers.

Thanks for any and all specifics.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2006   #2
bonekittyslug
Tomatovillian™

PV,

I grew a couple varieties in 5 gallon buckets last season. Boney M and Lyana did rather well dispite my lack of care.

I will have 10-12 buckets this year with Boney M, Lyana, Silvery Fir Tree, Siberian and Vezha. Last 2 probably too big for this, but I'm gonna try anyway, ya never know!

Things to do differently this season:
1) Fertilize more often. (maybe 2 week intervals)
2) Put up some sort of shield to reduce the blazing afternoon sun beating down on the buckets.

2005 I usually watered every 2 days or so. Would like to add drip system, but I may be too lazy to do that this year.

The life of a cat...Sleep 'til you're hungry...Eat 'til you're tired!

Spay or neuter your best friend!!
bonekittyslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2006   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

PV-I live in the desert, so dont use 5 gallon during the summer cause its so hot and dry here. But during the fall I plant in my hobby greenhouse and use 5 gallon grow bags. They work well if you pay attention to them with watering and fertilizing. I use espoma tomato tone in the container and foliar with a kelp/8-16-16 (monty joy juice). You have to foliar every week or two with this size container. At the end of the season they are all root.

As for varieties, I am growing right now Red Brandywine (seed from Carolyn) and Sicilian Plum in these containers, plus Quarter Century, New Big Dwarf and about 15-20 other dwarves or compact varieties.

So can it be done, yes. I think Mark Korney uses 5 gallon exclusively in the New York area.
Old February 16, 2006   #4
bonekittyslug
Tomatovillian™

ooops
computer glitch, sorry!

The life of a cat...Sleep 'til you're hungry...Eat 'til you're tired!

Spay or neuter your best friend!!
bonekittyslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2006   #5
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default 5 gallon buckets,Techniques

PV
I use a lot of 5 gal buckets and have no problems with yields or heat issues. I grow only 2 plants/5 gal bucket, use a rich organic soil mix, 20% peat moss, 20% steer manure 20% sand, 20% last years container soil, and 20% crushed pecan shells.

I water twice daily ( drip irrigation in the am and pm for 1/2 hour) and fertilize weekly with 1 gallon of compost/manure tea per 5 gal bucket. When transplanting , 3 tablespoons epsom salts and 1 tablespoon soluble sulfur at bottom of hole. Then mulch with 2-3 inches of crushed pecan shells.

My spudleafs go "nuts" in this soil mix and produce fruit like the jackrabbits out here in sw NM. only thing I've noticed is a 1 ft reduction in plant height but none in plant width. For example, my Galinas are 6 ft high in buckets and 7-9 ft high in the ground. Other spudleafs (4 plants in 20 gal nursery pots) behave as if in the ground. All are supported by a single 8 foot bamboo pole with sometimes a 2-3 foot extension for the taller ones.

All containers are spaced 7-10 feet apart in all directions to minimize cross pollination
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2006   #6
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Spud-Great to hear about your success in 5 gallon buckets-most growers think 2 plants for 5 gallons is too much. I have put 6 plants in a 1/2 whiskey barrel and they did great. Next year in the greenhouse, I am going to try 2 plants in my 5 gallon grow bags.
Old February 16, 2006   #7
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

I'm surprised to read about successes with 5 gallon containers. I have 20+ 10 gallon containers that I never used because I believed them to be to small. I have only planted in containers that are 22-30 gallon. You folks have given me hope for an even larger Tomato season.

Thanks for this board
Old February 16, 2006   #8
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jwr-In your area of the country, I would think it would be even bette for smaller containersr, considering that Spud and I are in the desert southwest. We get virtually no rain at all and the humidity is probably 10% or so during the summer.
Old February 17, 2006   #9
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default 5 gallon buckets

Michael,
I think the three most important things in growing maters in 5 gallon buckets are 1) a rich organic soil, 2) even uniform watering which reduces stress especially here in Hillsboro, NM and 3) fertilizing w/manure tea or a low N high P and K fertilizer like 5-20-20 on a weekly basis as the frequent watering tends to wash nutrients out of the soil .

The pecan shell mulch tends to keep the soil a little cooler too. I have successfully grown a single plant in a 2 gallon nursery pot but that size tends to dry out quickly causing stress.

Where are you located in Texas??

Spud
Old February 17, 2006   #10
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Spud-I am in El Paso, not far from you at all. Do you use the sand to lighten your mixture? I use compost tea also, but not that often. Do you use it as a soil drench or foliar? When I plant, I put espoma tomato tone in-usually about 2-3 cups-its a 4-7-10 with complete micro and macro nutrients. Then I foliar every week or two with monty's joy juice 8-16-8 to start and then 2-15-15 when fruiting. I really have no foliar disease except some early fungus that burns itself out.
Old February 17, 2006   #11
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default 5 gallon containers

Michael,
I use the manure tea as a soil drench only, no folar feeding as I want to keep as much mosture as possible off the foilage. With the dry climate its does keep down most of the foilage diseases.

The 5-20-20 I use on a biweekly basis only after fruiting starts in order not to force foilage growth at the expense of fruit development.

The sand is used to promote good drainage and to help with soil aeration. It also helps with soil compaction in the pots.
Spud
Old February 17, 2006   #12
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Spud-I sent you a pm earlier today.

On the soil drench, the reason I foliar is that I wondered if the soil drench runs out of the container fast and therefore the nutrients dont get to the plant-I assume your 5-20-20 is a dry fert? So you feel that soil drench gets the nutrients to the roots adequately, right?
Old February 18, 2006   #13
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

I know you can grow in a 5 gal. container --I have done it many times myself. I can get big, beautiful toms in them but the yield is so-so to lousy.

I wonder about everybody's total yield experience with 1 tom or when you put 2 in a container.

Have any of you who grow mainly in 5 gal. ever done a comparison to a larger container. My larger containers do so much better.

If your yield is good I am beginning to wonder if I fertilize the 5 gal. containers enough. farkee

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2006   #14
hedwarr
Tomatovillian™

Last yer i grew only one plant in a 5 gal container. It was a Yellow pear and it grew very large and produced heavy yields. This year i will be growing some determinates in spackle buckets. Hopefully they will do as well as the yellow pear.
hedwarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2006   #15
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

hedwarr, sorry I need a different variety comparison as I think you could grow yellow pear in a dixie cup and it would be humongous and produce 100's of those awful little things. No offense-- there are others who like YP too but I just can't stand them. farkee

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote