Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 27, 2012   #1
pattiann
Tomatovillian™

Default I'm blaming the MS

I figure it's as good as excuse as any... I just realized (duh!!) that I bought tabasco seeds, NOT jalapeno seeds and have been nurturing them since February.

Any idea what the heat difference is between the two? I searched the net and couldn't get a definitive answer on that. My son loves the hot stuff (me, I like the sweet reds and yellows and oranges) and don't want to disappoint him. Should I just go to the garden store and pick up a couple of jalapeno pepper plants or do you think he might be happy with the tabasco? He does go through a large bottle of McIlhenny's every couple of weeks, so I didn't think when I picked up the seeds to plant.... maybe it's the old age??

help, what to do, what to do!! Looking for the right smiley for this predicament, but haven't quite figured out which one, lol!!
pattiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #2
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

They're quite a bit hotter but very tasty. I used them for a fermented sauce and it was fabulous. Also good chopped into soups and eggs, other cooked foods.
For the fermented sauce, can find my recipe. It was pretty easy, just made a mash with some salt and garlic, let it set with a baggy filled with brine on top for a couple of weeks. I used a yogurt starter to give it a jump start but not really necessary. It's the same process as making saurkraut.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #3
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Tabascos are much hotter than Jalepenos as far as I know.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #4
pattiann
Tomatovillian™

Then maybe I'll look to trade a couple of the tabasco pepper seedlings which all of a sudden are taking off (maybe cause I turned the heat up with the cold snap we had here in Jersey) with another member. Is there a particular spot on this board to try for a swap? I have way too many anyhow, most of the seedlings took, quite to my surprise! How long do you think that mash would keep if I get double gloved and masked to make it up? We sure could save the $6 every other week for the tabasco sauce. Of course, I probably will spend at least that amount to feed these peppers and tomatoes over the summer months!
Gotta remember, it's about the taste and the value of home grown, not the cost... still hoping for a break even though... eventually!
Old March 27, 2012   #5
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

You could always make a simple pepper vinegar out of them, too.
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #6
pattiann
Tomatovillian™

what kind of vinegar would you recommend? the redwine or the white... rice vinegar? I'll have to search the net for recipes!
Old March 28, 2012   #7
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Tabasco plants are a rather long season pepper before you get a decent amount of fruit off them.

The good news tho is that they can winter over in a large pot in the house and the second year you would get LOTS of fruit off them. Large pot of at least 2 gal size or bigger.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #8
pattiann
Tomatovillian™

wow.... dagnabit! So I might not even get any by September? The back of the seed envelope said matures in 80 days. Should I plant several in pots in the ground to bring inside in the fall then? I feel like such an idiot right about now. My son goes off to college in the fall and I had so hoped to have something special for him before he goes. Guess I need to go get some pots now.

I guess i can always save what grows after he leaves for when he comes home on break then...
Old March 29, 2012   #9
mikeinsc
Tomatovillian™

Jalapeno peppers have an average Scoville rating of 2,500-5,000. Tabasco peppers average 30,000-50,000.
Old April 6, 2012   #10
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

I do not know anybody that eats pickled tabasco peppers as a snack, while many eat pickled jalapenos right out of the jar, seeds and all. Tabasco peppers are best as a pepper vinegar- Just fill a small jar with washed peppers and fill with boiling vinegar.(I use the clear white Heinz Brand) and let set for a couple of weeks.

OR you can make a pepper sauce. I do not recommend doing this at home as the peppers will burn your eyes.

MikeInCypress
Old April 6, 2012   #11
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiann View Post
wow.... dagnabit! So I might not even get any by September?
well i hope you do cuz i'm a lot farther north with a shorter season than you and i'm growing tabasco this year and expect to get a ton of them based upon the dtm. my fatali and habanero plants produced a lot of peppers last summer and their dtm is a lot longer than 75 or 80 dtm.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2012   #12
pattiann
Tomatovillian™

Default All really good ideas

My son likes jalapeno peppers on his hot dog
"sandwiches"... Makes a double decker with hot pepper seeds on one layer, slathered in tabasco sauce with the next layer jalepeno....

Once he fried up the hot peppers in oil and I told him I thought he was preparing a chemical warfare agent, my eyes stung so bad. Maybe I'll have him do the pepper prep outside... far away from any windows.

Sorry it took so long to reply, been without a computer... kind of dropped it and busted up the hard drive. Another reason I am doing raised bed gardening, I won't have as much opportunity to fall down on the little bitty plants, lol.

Happy Holydays everyone!
Patti