Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 23, 2012   #1
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

Default My First Watermelon

I've never grown watermelons before but planted 6 seeds in a 4'x8' bed when my wife's cousin gave me a handful of seeds. After the seeds had not germinated in a week or so I set out some fennel and sewed southern peas in the bed. Then the watermelon seeds and pea seeds germinated about the same time. I didn't expect to contain 6 watermelon plants in a 4x8 foot bed but I never expected as big of sprawl and it's still growing. The other day I discovered the little baby watermelon hiding among the vines outside the bed. There might be others in the bed under the vines there but I don't want to tread on vines outside the bed to have a look see. I think we'll be eating home grown watermelon in the not too distant future. Meanwhile we'll have fennel, southern peas and watermelon all growing in a single bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watermelon vines_120623_092353_1.jpg (320.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg watermelon_120623_092255_1.jpg (143.4 KB, 80 views)
Old June 23, 2012   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

That's exciting, Jerry! I still remember seeing my first watermelon- boy, those things can sprawl! This year I limited my selection to a few that have smallish fruits and I'm trying to train up cattle panel trellises. I'll give you some sympathy for not being able to mow your lawn if you give me some in return for adding another daily chore to my list- trying to help all the vines climb a fence when they really want to be on the ground! It sounded like a good idea at the time.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2012   #3
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryinfla View Post
I've never grown watermelons before but planted 6 seeds in a 4'x8' bed when my wife's cousin gave me a handful of seeds. After the seeds had not germinated in a week or so I set out some fennel and sewed southern peas in the bed. Then the watermelon seeds and pea seeds germinated about the same time. I didn't expect to contain 6 watermelon plants in a 4x8 foot bed but I never expected as big of sprawl and it's still growing. The other day I discovered the little baby watermelon hiding among the vines outside the bed. There might be others in the bed under the vines there but I don't want to tread on vines outside the bed to have a look see. I think we'll be eating home grown watermelon in the not too distant future. Meanwhile we'll have fennel, southern peas and watermelon all growing in a single bed.
Jerry, what variety are you growing?
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2012   #4
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I am so happy for you.

For the first time I sold "Heirloom Watermelon" plants during our Heirloom Tomato plant sale, because I lost so many varieties from Hurricane Irene. . An most importantly because I have notice many companies grafting these heirloom watermelon seeds to make them grow bigger. I looked look up the meaning of Grafted seeds. To me it seem like a Hybrid with a funny name. I got my seeds from the seeds saver exchange many year ago.

I am so happy my customers will be growing the true Heirloom Watermelons. I will make heirloom watermelons a part of my seeds collection to help protect these heirlooms.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2012   #5
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
Jerry, what variety are you growing?
I have no idea . My wife's cousin said it was his favorite watermelon and grew to 40 pounds for him. I knew the vines would sprawl but I had no idea they would take over a big part of my backyard . They better be good!
Old July 3, 2012   #6
Skaggydog
Tomatovillian™

Just ate the first one I've growen in over 20 years. The seed packet said Martha Steward certified organic Stars and Moon. I do not think that it was a Stars and Moon. It waighed 27.5 lbs. and had stripes. Could this be a Stars and Moon?
Skaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2012   #7
kurt
Tomatovillian™

If you want more melons need pollinization.They have male /female flowers and you can hand pollinate.For a patch that big normally you should have 30-40 melons.Online has a lot of info on hand pollinization and identifying male/female flowers.They will get to 30-40 vines so have fun.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2012   #8
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaggydog View Post
Just ate the first one I've growen in over 20 years. The seed packet said Martha Steward certified organic Stars and Moon. I do not think that it was a Stars and Moon. It waighed 27.5 lbs. and had stripes. Could this be a Stars and Moon?
Hello

Hello
When commercial growers uses the word organic: It's only the natural materials used , which is very good: but the seeds they uses can be Heirlooms or Hybrids. The new terms some commercial growers are using is the word "Grafted Seeds" which is to me, is another word for Hybrids.

The Heirloom Watermelon seeds named Moon & Star has been grafted to grow larger, I have notice this year. So to protect the Heirloom variety: I gave my customers this year a Heirloom Moon & Stars watermelon plant to try.

Last edited by MrsJustice; July 4, 2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Dyslexia
Old July 4, 2012   #9
robbins
Tomatovillian™

Actually grafted means cutting the top off two plants and putting the top of one onto the bottom or rootstock of the other. This way one might put an heirloom plant on a rootstock that is very vigerous and has disease resistance built in. It can improve production and vigor.
robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2012   #10
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbins View Post
Actually grafted means cutting the top off two plants and putting the top of one onto the bottom or rootstock of the other. This way one might put an heirloom plant on a rootstock that is very vigerous and has disease resistance built in. It can improve production and vigor.
Hello Robbin

For many years I try very hard to understand the professional formula of the medical down of gene structure of both Heirlooms and Hybrids Carolyn and you, as well as many others. I tried very hard. But being suffering with dyslexia, it became to complex for me. So I had to concentrate on pure Historical Plants and their history like my Muscadine grape vive. . On or around 1910 the Muscadine's were becoming genetically otter. It wasn't until 1960's did many people realized they genetically destroyed the special 6 gene which the Native American depended on as their medication. So it took me years from 1998 to understand how to take care of a true Muscadine. Then on or around 2004 I learned from Tomatoes Forums with many professionals on there and garden web that tomatoes had a deep history. I feel in love with the History of Tomatoes to grow on my Historical property. So for the first time I am again looking to restore my seeds I lost during hurricane Irene. That's when I notice the New term many were using Grafted Seeds.

I have a lot of respect for hybrids, because that to produce more to feed a large population and easier to grow. .I even seems that the new Grafted Seeds will improve growing. But, I feel that the pureness of the Generic structure made be affected,, maybe like the Muscadine's in 1910.

Yes it is very hard to grow Heirlooms with out an education I learned on forums for many of years/ and their is no financial rewards nor grants for me, but the pure historical veggie & fruits has medical value.

I suffer from dyslexia, so I hope you can understand me.

Farmer, Joyce Beggs
Old July 5, 2012   #11
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I have something very funny to add about historical fruit trees. I closely tried to research the cherry tree that President George Washington chop down to grow there at Angel Field. Than I took that description to a local nursery. The Owner told me that the cherries would be sour, but I brought it any way. The first year we got Heirloom Cherries off the tree, the cherries 'answered the question I had as a child'. Why?

I think Our first President chopped down that cherries tree because it was so pretty like candy," But So Sour & Bittier. I has to use a lot of sugar just to make a pie.

There is another Vegetable I feel should be study grown my the natives: the Cushaw Squash.