Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old October 3, 2011   #1
PastorJeff
Tomatovillian™

Default End of season blues

Well, it looks like the time has come in New Jersey. My tomato plants, so strong and healthy, full of tomatoes, are withering. The vines are starting to drop tomatoes before they are fully ripe - I've even found a few green ones on the ground.

But still, using my new Earthtainers, I've had the best crop of anyone in my community. It's been a great season.

What's the sign that it's time to pick the vines clean of red, pink, and green?

And, what's the best way to ripen the greenies? (Or is it better to just slice and fry?)

One other practical question...
The Earthainers are HEAVY, especially since thy are still nicely watered. My plan is to stop watering and take off the plastic for a week or two to let things dry out before I try to move them. Of course, one good rain could ruin that plan! Experiences with fall put-away would be appreciated.

-Jeff
PastorJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2011   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Jeff,

Glad to hear you had a good crop in the EarthTainers this year!

Regarding end of Season maintenance, it depends on your storage options. If you can store the Potting Mix, I would empty them out and clean out errant roots, etc. alternatively, (if you have the EarthTainer III removable cages), you can put the 'Tainers in a large black trash bag for the Winter, and store them outside.

If you have the older version EarthTainer II with the fixed cage, then try to wrap as much of the exposed container in plastic trash bags to prevent UV from the Sun, which would damage the container material.

Anyway, start planning your seed varieties for 2012 in the cold months ahead.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fall , season