Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 30, 2011   #1
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Default GWR Heart?

I have a soft spot for the heart tomatoes, particularly for the ones on the sweet side, and yet to come across any GWR Heart.

I know Reinhard Kraft has a cross in the works, in 2010 it was F3, and not going to be available until F7...

My goal was to actually try to cross Cherokee Green wit few oxheart varieties last year, but some things just didn't quite go as planned in life... Besides, Reinhard already did just that.

Does anyone here has any GWR Hearts in their crosses by chance?

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh_Vinci View Post
I have a soft spot for the heart tomatoes, particularly for the ones on the sweet side, and yet to come across any GWR Heart.

I know Reinhard Kraft has a cross in the works, in 2010 it was F3, and not going to be available until F7...

My goal was to actually try to cross Cherokee Green wit few oxheart varieties last year, but some things just didn't quite go as planned in life... Besides, Reinhard already did just that.

Does anyone here has any GWR Hearts in their crosses by chance?

Regards,
D
No, no crosses here but last Spring Reinhard sent me seeds for four of those experimental hearts he's working with, including the GW Ripe one, but it was a bad season here and I didn't get fruits off of any of them. I hope there are still some seeds left b'c I sent them to the person who was raising my plants for me, he also was sent them b'c Craig and I have known Reinhard for a very long time and while Reinhard said to not share seeds, he knew that neither of us would do so.
Old January 31, 2011   #3
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm...

Let's see: Hearts, Carolyn - just works together

Shame you didn't get to see/taste any fruits off those varieties Reinhard is working on. They sure do look very nice! Particularly his F3 GWR and F3 Yellow. And both have Cherokee Green in the cross, so I'm guessing the taste should be pretty darn good at the end of the selection process.

Well, going to try to cross few this year, will see what comes out If anything, it's going to be fun! And for now, just keep on lurking on his site once a year to see the progress of Reinhard's crosses...

Regards,
D

P.S. I certainly wish you a better growing season in 2011, Carolyn!
Old January 31, 2011   #4
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

D,

I have Kosovo x Green Sausage and Kosovo x [lime green salad x green sausage] F2 seed that will pop out some green hearts. The F1 were very tasty pastes. I will be selecting for many options this year if you want to wait, but if you want some of the seed for your own grow outs let me know and I will add them to the rest.

TZ
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2011   #5
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

TZ,

That sounds interesting! Yes, please, most definitely, if you could add few of your F2 seeds of this cross, I's appreciate! I'll be more than happy to report all the data back to you! Thanks!

Regards,
D
Old March 14, 2011   #6
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking about a green giant x kosovo cross...they are sitting right next to each other this year. But let's first see if I like kosovo
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

D, if you look at my grow out list in that thread where everyone is posting their lists, you'll see that this summer I'm again growing out Reinhard's GWR heart but now the F3. Last summer it was the F2's that I never saw as well as the other F2's for those 4 hearts in the experimental phase.

This summer I'm growing out the F3 Purple and green hearts.

And he's using different parents than his current GWR F3 and has started working on yet another GWR heart. No, I can't disclose the parents nor share any seeds with anyone if I do get seeds from this summer's two F3's, at his request, which to me is quite understandable.
Old March 14, 2011   #8
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Daddy - good luck, let us know if you go through with it!

Carolyn - thank you for the update. Exciting to see there are more than one "variant" of GWR hearts in the works from Reinhard. All the best with your trials! And as for the details, it is completely understood! Let's hope in few years we will have a stable, GWR heart we can all grow every year, because it will be that good!

For now, if anyone have a good potential F2/F3 GWR Heart canditate, I'll be happy to grow few plants

Regards,
D