Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 24, 2011   #1
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Default First time for Apricots!

I have lived in my house for seven years and there are 2 apple trees, 2 plum trees, a pear tree, and an apricot tree in my yard as well as many nut trees. With the apricot tree flowering so early I always lose the fruit or blossoms to frost, but this year it was so cold all spring that the flowers held off until after the last frost and now I have apricots.

Any recommendations now? When are they ripe and what can I do with them. I have eaten dried ones but never a fresh one. I am pretty excited.
Old June 24, 2011   #2
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I'm looking for some to make strawberry-apricot jam with. I bet they'd make a good pie, in combination with raspberries too.
Old June 24, 2011   #3
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

That sounds good, but I think my raspberries will be long gone by the time the apricots are ripe.
Old July 28, 2011   #4
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Sounds interesting that the flowering was held off until after the last of your frosts because of a colder spring,i wish i was so lucky as apricots can be a hit and miss affair for me down here in the roaring 40's,the winds kick early spring and always warms things up enough so they tend flower at the same time every year,but spring here is incredibly changeable and frosts can still hit till early summer.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2011   #5
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

Apricots don't keep well so if you get a good harvest you will need to preserve it in some way. I'm partial to freezer jams since I don't have to worry about all the paraphernalia and stringent safety issues, plus since it isn't cooked the flavor is much more "fresh" I think.

Pick up some plastic Ball jars and freezer pectin and make yourself up some apricot preserves and apricot glaze (awesome on ham) and enjoy the fresh taste of apricots out of your freezer for months to come.

I have a cookbook called "Peaches and Other Juicy Fruits" that has wonderful recipes for using peaches, plums, apricots and nectarines. I get 80+ lbs of plums off my little tree each year and just planted a pluot and aprium - I needed some additional ideas beyond jam and this specialty book has some pretty nice recipes for using fresh and preserving.

If I'm going to water and care for a plant it had better give me food, flowers or shade.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote