Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 10, 2015   #1
Sully1
Tomatovillian™

Default Watering my tomato plants

My tomato plants were started from seed under shop lights on January 22, 2015 and transferred to 4" round peat pots but are still under shop lights 24/7. I have been circulating air with a small fan and still burning lights around the clock while maintaining temps around 70 degrees. How often do I water using Miracle Grow Tomato plant food while plants are still under lights and when should I stop using the shop lights? Some of the leaves are starting to turn yellow but, containers still feel moist to the touch. I plan to plant in my hot beds after last projected freeze. I'm a "newbie" when it comes to growing anything and any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Have moved my lights up higher and just started turning them off at night as of yesterday. Also, as suggested, I have decided to back off on fertilizer use. I have been watering about once a week. The leaves of my plants are turning a little yellow on the top and I haven't quite figured out how to take pictures of them and post just yet. I'm definitely not the sharpest pin in the cushion! lol
Sully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015   #2
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

How much longer till they can go outside? Sounds like its time for fresh air and sunshine.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
How much longer till they can go outside? Sounds like its time for fresh air and sunshine.

They need to go out now.
This is perfect weather for them to acclimate to being outside.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #4
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Why were they ever under lights 24\7? Plants even seedlings need rest too, no?
Old March 11, 2015   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
Why were they ever under lights 24\7? Plants even seedlings need rest too, no?
There was a discussion about that in a recent thread. I don't think there is any conclusive research on that question as it relates to seedlings. I have always used 24 hour light and done fine. Maybe I'm wasting electricity, but in the early spring when I start seeds has cool weather, so the lights help keep everything warm.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

The general consensus about light seems to be 16/24 on ; 8/24 off. That is roughly how I do it.
Plants also need some darkness to rest. That is how it is in the nature.
Just my opinion.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I find that the majority of actual growth during that young time is at night while the light are off. Nature does it that way, daylight, and then darkness, so who are we to change what nature does? Also, I think they have been under the lights a wee bit too long. Most start hardening them off in full shade, then 20 minutes sun, then 40, then 60, then 2 hrs, 4 hrs, 6 hrs, then full sun, after about the second set of true leaves, or even at the first set. If weather permits, of course.
The yellowing leaves are probably from overwatering, that's the usual cause.
You can give them a single tablespoon of epsom salts mixed with 1 gallon water as your next watering, and the yellow will go away, but let them dry out a bit first.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote