Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 1, 2011   #1
stoopeechee
Tomatovillian™

Default I've Been Fooled!

By the Kroger Supermarket.

They have tomatoes labeled as "Heirloom" So I just bought and tried one.

@ 3.99 a lbs. it left alot to be desired. Wierd mushy interior, thick skin, almost no bite and not that sweet either.

With that being said, I figured it probably wouldn't wow me but thought I'd give it a whirl

My advice: Don't be Fooled (especially on April 1st!)
stoopeechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011   #2
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

I'm not surprized that they would try to pass off a factory tom for an heirloom. For tomato shoppers 'heirloom' is a buzzword like oragnic or green. It helps sell the product. I would be suspect of any tomato being sold in that setting that was perported to be heirloom. If it was pulled anywhere near ripe and survived shipping and handling it's probably not a very good tomato and probably not OP or heirloom.
snappybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011   #3
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

Maybe the issue is tomatoes harvested green and stored, shipped, and handled for days or weeks, rather than being deliberately misrepresented. I've bought supermarket tomatoes that looked just like heirlooms I've raised, but were soft and mushy. Of course, this is a perfect opportunity for local growers to showcase their superior and far fresher products at farmer's markets or other outlets - as you say, it helps sell (our) product!
davespitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011   #4
stoopeechee
Tomatovillian™

Ya I'm sure there are little or no requirements to call something heirloom. Like you said a buzz word. What got me was the price! I thought geez, for this money it ought to at least be tasty.

But alas, wrong again. It was somewhat better than typical gassed toms, and who knows maybe they were gased.
stoopeechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011   #5
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

If your going to buy tomatoes during the winter months the best heirloom tomatoes I've had came from a company called Farmhouse Tomatoes from FL. I like the Cherokee Purple. You can reach their website by combining the two words and anding dot com. I found them at Wegman's in Fairfax, VA. See if you can find them in your area ......

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote