Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 15, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Another Sign of Spring

There is a thread here that we were replying to about signs of the weather changing to spring, but I didn't find it. Anyway, this is the sign that it's spring in my neck of the woods. Mesquite trees budding - leafing out. I just took the pictures this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0040.JPG (65.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0041.JPG (96.5 KB, 51 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #2
imp
Tomatovillian™

No more frost this year for you! The mesquites are breaking dormancy here, too, so I feel safer now about the tomatoes.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #3
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

elm, peach, dogwood, Bradford pear, oak budding.

pecan, osage orange, black locust not budding out.

it's going to be like 86 degrees today, but sat, sun - low in the mid 30's. however, no frost in sight.....

the stores haven't even got their inventory in yet (big orange store, etc..). I started my tom's 3rd week of feb., wish I would have started sooner.

maybe we actually get a spring this year. last year was cool and rain, and then BOOM, hot.

your a zone ahead of me (7b), which probably translates to about 18 days. Texarkana is about 10 days ahead of me. but 15 day forecast does not predict frost in forecast.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #4
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

up here, first the roads lose their layer of snow, and ice.
then the back roads start to soften up, and turn into cheese cake. other parts turn all cratery, so when you drive over it everything shakes, your teeth rattle, and you look in the rear view mirror to make sure part of your vehicle hasn't fallen off. the shoulders of the road are softer. you don't want to go there or else you will sink down about 6 inches, and get yourself stuck. once everything dries up the road crew will come out, and regrade the roads, and put down some gravel.
that in between period is a real mess.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote