Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 22, 2015   #1
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default Yamal vs Sibirskiy Skorospelyi

Hi all,

I have Sibirskiy Skorospelyi (early Siberian )

and read that Yamal is similar ...but smaller fruit .

I also read that Yamal is good in cool wet summer climates (like Wet coast non summer years....some of us call "dirty summers").

I am thinking that it sounds like they are both similar but Yamal has smaller fruit

possibly smaller plant ???? slightly more compact and possibly even more container friendly ?????...and more cool/wet summer adaptable .

Would Yamal possibly be slightly more successful in a cool/wet summer

in a container ?

If you have been able to compare them both ...please share if Yamal has the

"survival " edge in the above described conditions.
Old June 23, 2015   #2
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

I compared Yamal to Sibirskiy Skorospelyi in 2011. We live close to the coast in Southern California. These were grown in the colder late winter to find the best early tomatoes for these conditions.

I would give SS the edge on Yamal for flavor in colder weather, but of course that is just to my taste, maybe not your's. Yamal was 3 days earlier so not enough to tip the scales in it's favor. Both were about 3 foot tall under tight conditions because I had so many to compare. Both are determinate. Both have roughly the same size small fruit.

I decided to pick Sibirskiy because of the flavor.
Sibirskiy - average 7.7 flavor
Yamal - average 7.5 flavor

Hope this helps some. In the end, I decided to drop all early tomatoes except for Sibirskiy (for flavor) and my own stabilized early tomato (7.5 flavor but close to a month earlier.
Old June 23, 2015   #3
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Sib was later, more open habit, Yamal more compact. Taste is about the same for me, size too. Am growing this year Kimberley, 0-33 and Krianiy Sever- extreme north translated. Kimberley has about couple of days left to get ripe with first tomato. 0-33 is one tough plant, loaded and is compact. Krainiy Sever will be last of the 3 to ripen but also has lots of tomatoes on it, nice as compact as well.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I haven't grown both, just SS. It is a large tomato and tastes very good. I had problems with sun scald when the weather turned hot.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #5
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Hey thanks all ,

I kind of suspected that it was a fine nuance between Yamal and S S

I am guessing I will have to compare next year and hope for a traditional cool

Pnw overcast summer . I am thinking Yamal a small 3 days earlier and a tad bit more compact is interesting to me if the year is wet and cool and miserable...... even if the taste is rated at slightly less compared with SS..

This year we have had record heat , 6% of usual precipitation and record breaking sunshine and no fog or cloud cover. Needless to say the "cool tolerant "
varieties are not acting like they usually do .

I also have 0-33 , Krainiy Sever , and Kimberly , also Nevsky , stupice , Volgogradsky 323, Siberia, Sasha's Altai and a list of others... as well.

I will try Yamal next year then...