Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 29, 2013   #1
bigmeanmamma
Tomatovillian™

Default Hillbilly Regular Leaf?

My Hillbilly tomatoes from Totally Tomatoes have regular leaf foliage. I called the company and they assured me the seeds are correct.

The lady didn't actually know what different leaf types are and consulted an on staff horticulturalist who said the leaves would change type later. I said no way, they are what they are. Well, the Totally Tomatoes lady has a degree in horticulture so I cannot be correct.

Any of my Tomatoville friends know if Hillbilly has a regular leaf variant? I'm hoping for the big bicolor that deserves that name. Its a family favorite and I didn't save my own seed last year.
bigmeanmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2013   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

There are both RL, the original, and a PL variant. The reason I know is b'c a PL Hillbilly was in the SSE public cataolg a few years back and I was given credit for it, which was wrong. I looked it up in my older SSE Yearbooks and found the person who was had first listed it and the blurb was changed to give him credit.

Here's a link to the PL one and I gave them the name of Jerry Bosner and when on the Hillbilly PL page you can go down to the bottom and click on the original Hillbilly RL variety

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/H...ly_Potato_Leaf

Carolyn
Old March 29, 2013   #3
bigmeanmamma
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much!

I've only grown The Potato Leaf Variety and my internet search wasn't accomplishing much. Great to know the background a bit too.
bigmeanmamma is offline   Reply With Quote