Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 29, 2015   #1
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Default Acceptable slope on a raised bed

I am building several new raised beds this year and 2 of my perimeter beds are roughly 36 ft in length which are connected at each end with 21 ft beds each 3 ft wide. 2 smaller 5x24 ft beds or 4 5x12 ft beds (haven't decided) will be in the middle of the perimeter square.
It looks like I may have up to a 15-18" difference between one end and another due to ground slope. Each corner would require some sort of leveling to make the area aesthetically pleasing, but yet I don't want to get crazy about it. It will also require some compromise between the various beds.
What would be an acceptable slope variation in inches of slope per foot of run before I would start to see run-off or soil shifting in a raised bed?
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #2
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

My thoughts are that 1/4" per foot would be more than acceptable which would allow a 9" drop over a 36 ft run. Just looking for some validation from someone in a similar situation.
Old April 29, 2015   #3
lrussillo
Tomatovillian™

I would terrace them. I found that even a 5 inch rise over 10 feet was not good. I use 12-inch concrete pavers set on end to divide beds on slopes.
lrussillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #4
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrussillo View Post
I would terrace them. I found that even a 5 inch rise over 10 feet was not good. I use 12-inch concrete pavers set on end to divide beds on slopes.
OK, so that is a big no on a 1/2" per foot variation. I think if I ended up using dividers I would just cut a couple of 2x6s to length, would take up less planting space.
Old April 29, 2015   #5
TNTiger
Tomatovillian™

I agree - terrace them if you can. I would also reconsider the 2 smaller 5x24 ft beds or 4 5x12 ft beds . . . 5" doesn't sound too wide but without stepping into the bed you will have a hard time doing much with the middle foot or foot and a half . . . I have a bed that is 4' wide and it's almost too wide for me (average height woman here). Every now and again I have to step into the bed but that compacts the soil which is otherwise very fluffy . . . my plants love it!
TNTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #6
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I have the bottom of the outside perimeter frame built and in place so its a matter of leveling the best I can. There are a couple of humps along the board paths to dig out but mostly it is a gradual downward slope. I'll most likely add boards on the bottom of the frame where I am over 5-1/2" and bottom fill the remaining gaps with packable soil around the outside.
Looks like I will have plenty of time to slowly get it done. I just returned from the yard in defeat. We have these biting midges (locals call them 'may flies') that are swarming all over the place. They come out with the 1st buds on the trees once the weather is warmer and stay around until the leaves come out. It usually only takes them a minute or two to locate you and then the swarm begins and I am very allergic to their bites. I'll probably be shut down for a couple of weeks or limited to weekend mornings when it is cool out.
Old April 29, 2015   #7
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
I have the bottom of the outside perimeter frame built and in place so its a matter of leveling the best I can. There are a couple of humps along the board paths to dig out but mostly it is a gradual downward slope. I'll most likely add boards on the bottom of the frame where I am over 5-1/2" and bottom fill the remaining gaps with packable soil around the outside.
Looks like I will have plenty of time to slowly get it done. I just returned from the yard in defeat. We have these biting midges (locals call them 'may flies') that are swarming all over the place. They come out with the 1st buds on the trees once the weather is warmer and stay around until the leaves come out. It usually only takes them a minute or two to locate you and then the swarm begins and I am very allergic to their bites. I'll probably be shut down for a couple of weeks or limited to weekend mornings when it is cool out.
Is that a Brittany puppy ?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #8
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Is that a Brittany puppy ?
Yes it is. He will be 8 years old in June. I also owned his grandmother who was a US Open Champion and also won the American Brittany Quail Classic among many other things. This one is just a pet (and a great bird dog). I don't compete with him.
Old April 29, 2015   #9
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Yes it is. He will be 8 years old in June. I also owned his grandmother who was a US Open Champion and also won the American Brittany Quail Classic among many other things. This one is just a pet (and a great bird dog). I don't compete with him.
I had a Brittany for 13 years when I was much younger. A female, a little bit undersized for the breed. She was such a sweet dog, I miss her still.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #10
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
I had a Brittany for 13 years when I was much younger. A female, a little bit undersized for the breed. She was such a sweet dog, I miss her still.
His grandmother was right at the lower size limit and would actually jump up in my lap when I was on horseback when she was finished for the day. What a spitfire. He would probably do the same but he would knock me off the horse and perhaps tip the horse over in the process. He's about 2" above the upper size limit and 45# of solid muscle when in field shape, about 50# off season.
Old April 30, 2015   #11
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

This has nothing to do with slope on raised beds. Claud

http://www.coolestone.com/media/1215.../#.VUG_4VNtd02
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2015   #12
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

What an amazing trainer! The animals seem so relaxed around him. I had a part border collie that looked like his two - I still miss her. Thanks for posting that!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2015   #13
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Back on topic, the rain finally missed me, so I'm putting in 500' of raised beds this week and if the weather will cooperate another 500' next week. I try to shoot for 1 inch of fall in 10' but can live with 3 inches in 10'. Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2015   #14
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I also say "Terrace " it !, making it looks like 3 beds. It seems to me to be the simple solution.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2015   #15
lrussillo
Tomatovillian™

Pavers are 1 inch thick, so don't take up a lot of real estate when set on end. Boards work too.
lrussillo is offline   Reply With Quote