Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old February 15, 2015   #1
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Default Planting potted blueberries in ground-when?

Bought a bunch of Lowes little potted blueberries. They don't appear to be totally dormant although they don't have any leaves. Just a few tiny buds on some.
Problem is, we have the coldest weather in years predicted this week. I'm assuming I shouldn't plant them until after the cold snap?
I also have asparagus crowns that need planting and I assume they would be fine, so long as they are planted pretty deep. Our soil rarely freezes but might freeze on shallowly this week with several days not reaching 32 degrees.
I guess maybe I'll at least get my tomato seeds planted tomorrow. I've really got the gardening bug right now!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #2
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Normally down here where I am at, we are putting blueberries in the ground between now and the end of the month, but with this cold front that has moved through, nobody is planting anything yet.

I would recommend that if your able to transplant those little guys into some bigger pots in case this cold goes on for a bit to help keep those roots warm.

Blueberry roots are very shallow they grow out horizontally near the top of the soil if you put them in the ground now, you may just lose them. Usually the big box stores run the watering systems every night, so all the nutrients are leached out of the soil. Transplanting even into just a bit bigger container with the some soil will help to hold them til you can go outside.

Can't help on the asparagus crowns. Not something I grow.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2015   #3
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I'm a little worried about putting them out right now as they broke dormancy while indoors, even before I bought them. It's supposed to be 20 this weekend, then a warm spell. I'll try for Sunday or next weekend. Still looking for the perfect spot. Sunny areas are in short supply on my land.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If they broke dormancy you dont want them to freeze it will split the wee branches and they will have to come up from the root if they even do that.

This happened to a ton of my yard plants last winter and it may happen again this your too.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote