Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 26, 2012   #1
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Default Preparation in fall

To my delight, it sounds like I can have my in-ground garden down the road next year. In fact, the man sounded most enthusiastic "We'll make it wider. We'll make it longer!" Awesome!

He would like some peas next year, which is fine of course. But, they need to get in a lot earlier, and they get very busy in spring. I was wondering if it would work well to add whatever mushroom compost we like, and do the tilling this fall. Then, I could just use some weedkiller next year, and get things in early.

Would that work out well? Or would the ground compact over the winter? There should be no traffic on it.
Old September 26, 2012   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

I always prepare my pea rows in fall and find that if the soil is worked deeply, the amendments added the soil is raked up into long ridges 6-8" higher than the surrounding soil, all that needs to be done is to innoculate and poke the seeds in at planting time. The soil settles but compaction wasn't a problem for me and the peas can easily be poked into the soil even if it's a bit wet- but I'm not sure what kind of soil you have and if that might make a difference. Sometimes, depending on the conditions in a given year, I even cover the rows with plastic a few weeks ahead of when I want to plant in order to aid in warming and keeping forecasted rain off, but it is important to protect tiny shoots from severe cold. I got really carried away last year with the warm winter/spring weather and lost several entire rows of peas trying to protect them with plastic.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2012   #3
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I was thinking of preparing the entire garden this fall including the areas for tomatoes.

This soil is pristine - nice and rich, had grass at one point, which was removed. And this year, they added mushroom compost and topsoil, and tilled it 3 times, once with a tractor and twice with a rototiller.
Old September 26, 2012   #4
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I do a soil test in the fall and add the recomended amendments. Till everything in and come spring, which is when we usually have wet weather, I'm ready to go with just a light tilling.
Old September 26, 2012   #5
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Great, that should probably work out fine then. Thanks all.