Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old December 18, 2009   #1
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Default No clue how to grow potatoes!

It's true - I have no idea of where to plant, how deep, or when is best.

I believe the potato must have eyes, but that is the sum total of my (lack of) knowledge, so if anyone can set me straight it would be most appreciated...

huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2009   #2
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

Most of us here know how, but Tom Wagner is really the world's authority on potatoes and maybe he has some specialized knowledge of your area and climate specifics.

Tom Kleffman
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2009   #3
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Huntmans,
Here are a number of links to growing potatoes and some trivia for folks liking to read about potatoes.

How to plant and grow potatoes

http://www.gardensgalore.co.za/potatoes.html

http://biophile.co.za/gardening/star...getable-garden

Growing Vegetables in South Africa by Capel Hemy

http://www.nda.agric.za/docs/Potatobrochure/potato.htm has this:

Quote:
The South African processing industry grew by about 100 % over the past five years and is still expanding.

Planting of potatoes is done almost throughout the year in different regions of South Africa
However, the months November and December are avoided because of high temperatures combined with long day lengths which are not conducive to planting.

Domestic potato production is mainly under irrigation. Potatoes are produced without supplementary irrigation (dryland) only during spring and early summer plantings in regions with a temperate climate and a proven reliable summer rainfall such as in the Mpumalanga Highveld and Eastern Free State.
Potato cultivars available in South Africa can be divided into three groups according to the length of their growing periods. In the group for early cultivars (less than 100 days)
Vanderplank is the most popular cultivar.
The medium-growing season cultivars (100 to 120 days) form the bulk of potatoes grown in South Africa of which BP1 and Up-to-Date are the most popular cultivars at present. Together BP1 and Up-to-Date constitute almost 77 % of the potatoes grown in the country.
The third group of cultivars are those with a longer growing season (longer than 120 days) such as Sackfiller, Late Harvest, Kimberley’s Choice and Cedara.
Potato cultivars are utilised according to the end-use product that they are destined for
For households, firm potato cultivars such as BP1 and Vanderplank are favoured when making salads because they do not break easily but the Up-to-Date cultivar is favoured for mashing and baking because it is brittle.
In the processing industry cultivars that are frequently used in the manufacture of crisps are Hertha, Pimpernel, Lady Rosetta, Fiana, Crebella and Erntestoltz. Crisps represent approximately 40 % of the total domestic processed potato products. Vanderplank, BP1,
Up-to-Date and Hertha are used in the manufacturing of frozen French fries. The manufacturing of frozen French fries represents approximately 41 % of the total processed potato products.
Vanderplank, Buffelspoort, BP1 and Up-to-Date are used for fresh French fries.
SpuntaG2 potato is a GMO potato variety released in South Africa for tuber moth resistance.
Trade opportunities for the potato industry are encouraging because African states south of the Sahara are increasingly turning to South Africa as a food source.
I was surprised to see that a lot of companies are bringing in protected varieties to S. Africa. The * list will likely be hard to find unless a few are available in garden catalogs.
Quote:
* Agria

* Emergo

* Lady Christl

* Roko

* Almera

* Eryn

* Lady Jo

* Ronn

* Ami

* Esco

* Lady Rosetta

* Ropedi

* Amorosa

* Evan

* Liseta

* Rotharo

* Argos

* Fabien

Marijke
Russet Burbank
* Arinda

* Fabula

* Markies

Sandvelder
* Arnova

* Fianna

* Melody

* Santana

Astrid
* FL 1939

* Mnandi

Serenade
* Avalanche

* FL 1946

* Mondial

Shepody
* Aviva

* FL 1953

* Montrose

* Smith’s Comet

BP1
* FL 2006

* Mozart

Spunta
* Bellini

* Frodo

Nicola
Up-to-Date
Buffelspoort
* Harmony

Pentland Dell
* Umatilla Russet

* Calibra

Hermes
Pimpernel
* Valor

* Caren

Hertha
* Platina Vanderplank
* Columbus

Hoëvelder
* Quincy

* Victoria

* Daisy

* Imola

* Red Eye

* Virgo

* Darius

* Innovator

* Redgem

Yagana-Inia
* Devlin

* Inova

* Riviera

* Yarden

Dorado
* Konsul

* Rodeo

If I took more time telling you how to grow potatoes than looking up trivia about them ....Oh well, be sure to get some UP TO DATE potatoes. My family has grown them off and on for over a hundred years.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2009   #4
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

Default potatoes

you can let them have sprouts, buy seed potatoes via mail or a local supplier (we have a feedstore elevator)

keep soil loose as it is a tuber...sandy soil with nutrients is great. Place under surface by hand or a potato planter

Cover the potato and as the plant grows upward keep covering it with soil or leaves or hay...straw.

When leaves start to turn wispy or brown...harvest in a wide circle. Pick potato bugs by hand is my suggestion. It's an easy crop to grow.
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2009   #5
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

I do wish that we had potatoes here like those I had in the west country of England. These were not mealy, dry, or starchy, but waxy, with a delicious potato flavor that required little salt or butter. However, it was the waxy texture that was so different and enjoyable, instead of immediately falling apart, the were rather chunky inside and held their waxy character even when buttered. I have never even found anything close here.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2009   #6
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
I do wish that we had potatoes here like those I had in the west country of England. These were not mealy, dry, or starchy, but waxy, with a delicious potato flavor that required little salt or butter. However, it was the waxy texture that was so different and enjoyable, instead of immediately falling apart, the were rather chunky inside and held their waxy character even when buttered. I have never even found anything close here.
Try German Butterball

taht describes it perfectly.

Tom
Old December 18, 2009   #7
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinslair View Post
Try German Butterball

taht describes it perfectly.

Tom
The butterball surely seems to have received rave reviews from what I found after doing some searching. However, I did find two references indicating that there are at least two different strains..one produces more tubers with smaller size, while the other is just the reverse. It's probably a moot point at this point as several distributors seem to no longer be shipping for the season. Too, it has rained here for the past several weeks, so yards and gardens are like swimming pools. Probably should wait till spring, but thanks for the recommendation. My potatoes planted in late fall/early winter under straw and compost are still doing great even though the temps have several times plumetted, they seem to be comfortable.
Funny thing, being sixty I could kick myself for the many years wasted by not gardening in the winter. I have been amazed to see how much actually will thrive here even when temps have fallen below 27 degrees. I have more beautiful lettuce than ever.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2009   #8
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

well, we hit 12 below 0 a few days ago. Even had to pull my late cabbages, and they were damaged so had to eat them right away.

oh well. we eat canned and frozen crops in the winter. It will get a lot colder. Potatoes and squash are all that are left of the fresh crops now.

Tom
Old December 19, 2009   #9
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
I do wish that we had potatoes here like those I had in the west country of England. These were not mealy, dry, or starchy, but waxy, with a delicious potato flavor that required little salt or butter....
The farmers' markets sell Yukon Gold potatoes, which also sound like your English potato. Red potatoes also have a somewhat waxy texture and are good for potato salad.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2009   #10
salix
Tomatovillian™

Some types of fingerling (?French or ?German) potatoes are quite "waxy" and are extremely good for use in salads.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2009   #11
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Superb response everyone, and thank you so much!

I'm off to follow all of the suggested links and advice and will return to thank you more fully...

Later...

Tom, I'm familiar with that first site, but had no idea if his advice was solid, so I'm glad you recommend it.
The second site is a general veg one, and the book is out of stock, but I'll keep an eye out - thank you.

The Quote is very helpful, as is the list. One question: which would you recommend for mash and for baking?

You mention UP TO DATE spuds: You mean in terms of freshness? Wouldn't you need some that are less than perfect so you get some with eyes?

Sorry - I realise now you are talking about a cultivar..!

Thanks Earl - After the harvest, how long will the plant continue producing? Is it perennial?

I recommend this...!

Last edited by huntsman; December 19, 2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old December 19, 2009   #12
Aussiemark
Tomatovillian™

Spuds are pretty easy.

I put some in the ground, under some mulch, my first time. About 4 to 5 months latter I had nothing in the fridge for dinner, so I went out in the dark, dug them up, and made dinner.

Don't let light get to the tubers, and don't eat any with green or greenish tint to them, they are poisonous.

Just give it a go, you will be shocked at how easy to grown and productive they are.

Mark
Aussiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2009   #13
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiemark View Post
Spuds are pretty easy.

Don't let light get to the tubers, and don't eat any with green or greenish tint to them, they are poisonous.

Mark
The green ones can be used as seed potatoes for the next year though, so dont let them go to waste. Just dont eat them.

Tom
Old December 19, 2009   #14
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Oh! Didn't know that - how long can they keep from the moment you dig them up to replanting, if green?
Old December 19, 2009   #15
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

I assume that depends on the storage qualities of the potato type to begin with.

I keep potatoes from fall to spring in my basement. It is about 50-55 all winter down there.

Tom