Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old October 1, 2013   #1
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Physalis germination

Hi all,

After a total germination failure with my Physalis seeds last spring, I almost gave up hope - but decided to try again next year.
Any tips you would like to give me - in addition to the common instructions that the soil mustn't be too dry / too wet etc..?
I found some good information on Trade Winds Fruit web site that also sells several types of Physalis, and would like to hear experiences that people have had, and how they would instruct a newbie...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2013   #2
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Hi all,

After a total germination failure with my Physalis seeds last spring, I almost gave up hope - but decided to try again next year.
Any tips you would like to give me - in addition to the common instructions that the soil mustn't be too dry / too wet etc..?
I found some good information on Trade Winds Fruit web site that also sells several types of Physalis, and would like to hear experiences that people have had, and how they would instruct a newbie...
I have grown most of the physalis types and they can be nasty to germinate. Here is the 2013 experience.

Physalis peruviana (Cape Gooseberry)

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?MVCKQ 6 Septrmber 2013 Physalis peruviana (Cape Gooseberry)
The Cape gooseberry was ready to pick. The fruit is very sparse but of good quality.Quantity of fruit makes growing of marginal utility. The fruit falls to the ground when ripe but sort of clings until the last moment.The screens were not deployed, since the quantity of fruit was so low. The fruit must be approaching orange colour to be utilized. If green tinge the fruit has too much solanine for consumption and is bitter.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?BCIXX 16 May 2013 Physalis peruviana Planted outdoors
Five Physalis peruviana (Cape Gooseberry) plants were placed outdoors. The planting area was mulched and a stake supplied for some support. Some plants are in blossom. Fibre glass screens were made to collect the fruit when it falls off the plants.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?IUMLB 18 April 2013 Hardening Off Physalis peruviana (Ground Cherry). The process of hardening off my five Cape Gooseberry plants has begun. The plants are growing well.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?KFMJB 4 March 2013 Potting up.Physalis peruviana The five plants were moved to larger pots. This is probably the last move until planted outside at the end of May depending upon the growth.The plants will be kept in the greenhouse until planted out.Pictures depict the method.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?RWFYX 25 February 2013 Physalis peruviana
Photos indicating growth after 39 days. The plants are healthy and strong.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HOAEC 2 February 2013 Physalis peruviana (Cape Gooseberry) plants growing well.
Five plants are thriving. When it warms up they will be placed in the outdoor greenhouse.The bags tend to keep the moisture level high. At this stage watering is done to achieve bottom watering by placing the pots in a container of water as required.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?XOYYZ 16 January 2013 Physalis peruviana
Required are five or six plants. Germination is slow and erratic judging from past experience in my zone 5. These plants are slow growing and require a long season. They will be planted outdoors about the end of May. Of all the ground cherries, this has the largest fruit and the bushes are more upright, also the fruit tends to stay on the bush until picked. These plants were started on 27 December 2012, and about 30% of the seeds were viable.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2013   #3
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, your plants looked healthy and strong.. and you even got some harvest! That's the main goal, to be able to snack and munch these yummies.

Will try next spring with seeds from other source than last March - none of them showed any sign of life, none whatsoever. Some gardeners who had success have reported huge growth - apparently some varieties can take over the entire greenhouse if allowed. All I want, is a decent bush...
Old October 2, 2013   #4
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Physalis pruninosa, Aunt Molly Ground Cherry, is the most prolific of the bunch. One plant covers around nine square feet and is close to the ground.

Last edited by Durgan; October 2, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old October 2, 2013   #5
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
Physalis pruninos, Aunt Molly Ground Cherry, is the most prolific of the bunch.
I think "Aunt Molly" is the variety name, but have seeds and will sow it next year.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2013   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

http://www.canadiangardening.com/gar...erries/a/35189

here's an article on growing them. Unfortunately there is Not a lot of specifics regarding germination in the article. Perhaps try again with fresh seed and use a little bottom heat. I have grown them and did not have difficulties germinating them. They do well in a greenhouse if you have one, otherwise, in my area a good head start indoors and a very warm and sheltered location would be best as they don't seem to appreciate wind and weather in my experience.
better luck growing them next time.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2013   #7
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

My ground cherry seeds germinated pretty much exactly as the tomatoes I started around the same time did. I had written "Grand Cherry" on the tag and thought they were a pepper so I was surprised they germinated so quickly!

They seemed unhappy in full summer sun but quite happy in the light shade from a zucchini. Once it died of SVB, they didn't do much until it cooled off recently. Mine are more "creeping" than anything else. Very pretty plants.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2013   #8
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I have been growing physalis X for about 8 years. I am suspicious that poor germination results from seed that is saved when not fully mature. This is based on the fact that some years germination is effortless and others marginal. I am now saving my own seed and insuring the fruit chosen is almost at the splitting stage.
Old October 3, 2013   #9
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the insights. Seed maturity might really do the difference. I hope next year will be a better success and that the new seeds I purchased have been harvested from mature fruit.
There is no greenhouse, but my balcony/patio is very warm... will see if the plant fares better in shade or full sun... Ah the sunshine, missing it already, although it's only October!
Old October 3, 2013   #10
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Ah the sunshine, missing it already, although it's only October!
You really got something to miss, if you're accustomed to 20 hours of sunlight daily in summer.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2013   #11
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit...oseberry/119TM

These are the ones I had the best luck with myself. interesting looking plants with lots of pretty little blooms. Not too attractive at the end of season though and they do drop those fruits once they are very ripe. I wonder if a dwarf like this would do best in pots on a balcony
Anyway, something to consider, this seed is widely available in Canada but I don't know about Finland. I would guess that it is.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2013   #12
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit...oseberry/119TM

These are the ones I had the best luck with myself. interesting looking plants with lots of pretty little blooms. Not too attractive at the end of season though and they do drop those fruits once they are very ripe. I wonder if a dwarf like this would do best in pots on a balcony
Anyway, something to consider, this seed is widely available in Canada but I don't know about Finland. I would guess that it is.
KarenO
My post 2 is what I am growing Physalis peruviana. It is not the most prolific. As I mentioned the Physalis Pruninosa (Aunt Molly Ground Cherry) is the most prolific. I got a bushel or more one year from four plants. Peruviana has slightly larger fruit but about 1/5 or less the quantity.

There are a couple of other varieties but not worth growing since some are slow to ripen. Physalis alkekengi or Chinese Lantern is one.
Old October 6, 2013   #13
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

The variety I tried to grow this year was Physalis grisea (a.k.a. Strawberry tomato), supposedly from a reputable company... It should be delicious in taste.. pity, I paid quite a lot for ten seeds...
Next year it'll be another Physalis, I'll try something from the Trade Winds Fruit as they seem to have interesting options available. p. ixocarpa and p. pruinosa for example.
Old October 23, 2013   #14
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Still picking fruit.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?LBXEL 23 October 2013 Physalis peruviana (Cape Gooseberry)
Plants still producing fruit after about five frosts over the last six weeks. This fruit, one pound, was plucked from the branches not off the ground. Plants are still producing flowers.There appears to be no frost damage and the quality of the fruit is excellent and all ripe.