Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 29, 2010   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default cold temps

I normally keep my seedlings inside until about the 4 week mark and then gradually introduce them to the outside elements. This year I have introduced them to the outside much earlier. They have been outside for a week now, no direct sun but filtered sun along with some wind and such. Temps have been cooler outside than they are inside and I am hoping for less leggy plants. Anyway, they are under the lights on a covered patio/deck and tonights temp will drop to around 38. Will they be fine or should I bring them in overnight.
Old January 29, 2010   #2
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

If it drops to near freezing you can lose them - a few weeks ago in OC Calif we got 32 degrees AND LUCKILY LISTENED TO WEATHER THE NIGHT BEFORE and covered them - one of the covers came off in the wind and that plant is dust - then 2 weeks later it was only supposed to get to 40 degrees but when I got up in the am to walk the doggies there was ice on the grass - lost 4 plants - have 5 left all with maters - luckily I haven't started plants at my plots yet and starting seeds anyday

guess it is better to be safe than sorry
Dennis

Last edited by mtbigfish; January 30, 2010 at 06:11 PM.
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2010   #3
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

I remember reading on a thread here on TV that if it drops below 40, the plants should be protected/brought in. Unfortunately, I can't remember where that thread is.
But I agree with Dennis, better safe than sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
I normally keep my seedlings inside until about the 4 week mark and then gradually introduce them to the outside elements. This year I have introduced them to the outside much earlier. They have been outside for a week now, no direct sun but filtered sun along with some wind and such. Temps have been cooler outside than they are inside and I am hoping for less leggy plants. Anyway, they are under the lights on a covered patio/deck and tonights temp will drop to around 38. Will they be fine or should I bring them in overnight.
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2010   #4
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Better safe than sorry. Enough said
Old January 30, 2010   #5
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Glad I brought them in as it got colder than expected. I put them in an unheated laundry room and the leaves have a purple tinge to them this morning. Going to pot them up tomorrow
Old January 30, 2010   #6
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

hope those leaves don't turn black and croak
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2010   #7
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

I am potting up to gallon jugs even now, but I'm in no hurry about it. Better a few more days of overcrowding (doesn't seem to hurting; cf. my last photo from my "wee ones" thread) than frost-lost (low tonight officially 38 but might go lower).

Don't worry dj, I don't waste a single seedling, so if yours do bite the big one, I'm going to have plenty in surplus. Mind you, you'll have to drive up here to Houston to get 'em...
Old February 1, 2010   #8
duajones
Tomatovillian™

My seedlings are just fine, color returned to normal after they warmed up a bit