Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 29, 2008   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Is Carolyn Alright?????

I just saw a thread on the GW forum that indicated Carolyn was going into emergency surgery. Anyone else hear anything?
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2008   #2
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

I know Carolyn had testing done earlier this week. It is possible that is it is related to that, and if so, it may be a quickly needed fix to a problem and not life threatening. So I hope she is ok, and I wouldn't get worried at the moment.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2008   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I pray you're right Remy. That lady's been thru enough. She'll be in our prayers.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old August 30, 2008   #4
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Is Carolyn Alright?

I also saw the GW post.
I heard from Carolyn this week and she shared with me that she had undergone some tests which needed further exploration. At least one needed immediate attention and that may be the reason for the surgery on Friday. I am sure she is getting good care from her doctors and the nurses. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers.
Gary
Old August 30, 2008   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn posted today at Dave' Garden so I think she is OK. I'm sure she will be posting here shortly. Ami
Old August 30, 2008   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Cut and pasted from GW where I wrote this about 30 min ago. I go to the sites I post at in a certain order every day, except not yesterday. Sigh.

I'm home and am going back to bed ASAP. ( smile)

I've been dealing with this issue since July 7th and it came down to deciding if it was kidney stones or bladder cancer.
The CT scans were in and a procedire done Thursday at the Urolgist's office showed no bladder cancer but one ureter totally blocked and the other one almost blocked.
The CT scan had showed that the kidney's were swollen with a 7 mm stone ( that's big) in the right ureter and a 4 mm stone in the left ureter.

There was great concern about losing a kidney or going into kidney failure so the decision on Thursday late was that surgery had to be done ASAP/

Living alone it's tough to find someone to drive me over there, get all the pretests done, sign so many forms and on and on but Freda, whom I've mentioned before as the person who cleans for me and also does all my gardening for me was able to take me and stay.

The large stone was embedded in tissue so the procedure took almost two hours rather than the 45 minutes expected, and a stent was put in the right ureter and as a precautionary measure a stent was also put in the left ureter but the stone not removed.

Now I have to go back to the hospital in a week or two to get the stone out of the left ureter and remove the stent in the right ureter and put another stent in the left one, and then get that one out which can be done at his office.

And they won't do surgery unless someone is with you after you get home, so another friend was here all night and she just left.

Freda goes back to work Tuesday so I have to round up other drivers and watchers. The hospital is about one hour away from my home.

Having kidney stones is not new to me for I've had about 9 now and three lithotripsies b/c I don't excrete them as some folks do. But I haven't had any in the last 10 years. Sigh.

Pain? Let us not discuss it, pretty please, said to be the equivalent of a heart attack or giving birth.

So I'm supposed to be resting in bed and pushing fluids which means I'm up almost every half hour going you know where.

Thanks so very much for your concerns. I did mention this in a thread here (GW) Thursday night b'c two folks had asked me a question and I wasn't up to even thinking about the question and I consider it rude when I'm asked something and then don't reply.

This ASAP situation was just so sudden it really did shock me, but it looks like the kidney function may have been saved so I'm happy about that.

I'm more comfortable in bed but SHEESH, the US tennis Open is on now and those who know me well know I'm a tennis nut, so I hope to be able to get out to the living room to see some of it today and for the next week. Sigh.

And now to rustle up some breakfast, shower and then back to bed. It's strange that I've had no appetite at all and I last ate or drank anything at midnight Thursday.
Old August 30, 2008   #7
Alberta
Tomatovillian™

My God Carolyn, this has really been a crappy year for you health wise. I'm sorry to hear this latest episode, but know we are thinking of you and sending well wishes.
Alberta
Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2008   #8
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Carolyn, Pleased to see you are home! Try to get some rest and hope you are somewhat free from pain.
Gary
Old August 30, 2008   #9
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Wishing you well, Carolyn! Hang in there!
Old August 30, 2008   #10
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Default is carolyn alright?

Carolyn
We are thinking of you and pray that all will be well. I have some idea of what you're going through as my dad had some of these procedures.
You're tough I think and will be fine.
I'm sending you my best wishes.
Neil (Canada)
retiree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2008   #11
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

sorry to read about additional health issues. hang in there.

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2008   #12
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Take it slow and easy Carolyn. Sounds like a lot of pain, but you will be okay and I'm glad you have some folks taking care of you.

Duane
Old August 30, 2008   #13
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Hey, Dr. C

Feel the love and all the hugs you are getting from all of us out here.

Take three jiggers of Jack Daniels with a percoset chaser. Then a nap might be in order.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old August 30, 2008   #14
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

All the best, Carolyn.
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2008   #15
salix
Tomatovillian™

Sending lots of positive healing thoughts to you. Hope you can get comfortable soon. W
salix is offline   Reply With Quote