Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 4, 2012   #1
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Default When are they ready?

I started some potatoes in early Feb. they are red but I'm not sure what kind. I think they are supposed to be an early variety.
Since my plants will most likely succumb to heat rather than frost, how do I tell if they're ready?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

If they are an early variety like Red Norland, you could have a good harvest in just a couple months. Potato plants will begin to die back when they're finished, but you can gently reach around under the soil and see what size taters you've got. Often people will take some early new potatoes from each plant and let the smaller tubers increase in size. Usually the tubers will have formed when the plant flowers but varieties vary and some flowers are less noticeable than others. If you've planted a lot you can just dig up a whole plant but if you've planted in a barrel you might want to use a less ruthless method.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012   #3
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Kath!
They started to grow strongly around mid-Feb and are still
Looking good. I guess I'll give them a few more weeks or until they wither away when we go above 100 all next week.
I have them shaded since they were wilting from 90 degrees.
Old May 10, 2012   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Potatoes are currently being dug in Kern County, California...(Bakersfield) and these are potatoes that were planted late Jan. That falls into the 90-110 day maturity of potatoes....days from planting to harvest. Some potato varieties are early and they show it well....but most potatoes commercial grown are cut down before full maturity in order to set the skin.

I would say the potatoes planted in early Feb. would be ready now and surely in another two to three weeks. Watering excessively now might encourage bacterial rot.....potatoes with raised lenticels caused by too much watering are especially susceptible to diseases caused by bacteria. Bacterial soft rot and lenticel spot are two commonly occurring potato diseases.

Dig a few hills at a time...once the lenticels are becoming more prominent...all should be dug. Am I correct in thinking you are growing these for food and not for replanting? If you are trying to save the potatoes for later use and/or for replanting...a mulch around the hills might be useful to keep the soil a bit cooler.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012   #5
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Tom!
I'm just growing them for fresh food. Hoping for nice, fresh boiled red potatoes. I only have a small batch, about 6x8 feet.
Old May 10, 2012   #6
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I didn't know what lenticels were. In the process of looking this up, I found a helpful picture guide of diseases.
Thought somebody might find it useful.
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/cat...m/em8948-e.pdf