Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 10, 2014   #1
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Default Variegated varieties

There have been a couple of posts re. variegated tomato plants recently and I thought I'd post a couple of pictures. I grew a few Lange Ærmer plants a couple of years ago and found one plant to have a variegated leaf. It's one of Tom Wagner's varieties and Tom confirmed he had not used a variegated tomato in the creation of Lange Ærmer.

The following year from a plant grown from the seed I saved, I made a cross to Dancing with Smurfs (another of Tom's varieties). This is one of the F2 plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 242.JPG (49.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 091.JPG (42.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 090.JPG (40.2 KB, 86 views)
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2014   #2
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I think I mentioned in another thread that I will be growing LA3729 that I received from another member. It's the alb allele in Ailsa Craig background. I've got seedlings of that one started and will be happy to share once I bulk up seed.

I also have another one that is pretty interesting. More on that one later this year though after I bulk up my seed stocks.

I love variegated tomato plants but as another member pointed out, lots of people think they look diseased and will stay away from them. Tomato geeks will not be scared off though!

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2014   #3
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Im growing plain old Variegated just to be able to make some crosses to. My wife is one of those people who thinks the plant looks sick but i like it.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2014   #4
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I think I mentioned in another thread that I will be growing LA3729 that I received from another member. It's the alb allele in Ailsa Craig background. I've got seedlings of that one started and will be happy to share once I bulk up seed.

I also have another one that is pretty interesting. More on that one later this year though after I bulk up my seed stocks.
Look forward to hearing more later in the year

Quote:
I love variegated tomato plants but as another member pointed out, lots of people think they look diseased and will stay away from them. Tomato geeks will not be scared off though!
Me too, I think they look gorgeous! Lol, I guess to some they do look a bit odd and can understand they would give them a miss. But I never thought of myself as a tomato geek before!
Old June 11, 2014   #5
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Im growing plain old Variegated just to be able to make some crosses to. My wife is one of those people who thinks the plant looks sick but i like it.
I've got a few Variegated growing too, though they are struggling a little at the moment as they have so much white on them. Perhaps if the summer ever warms up here they will grow a bit greener?

I'm sure your wife will love any variegated crosses you do
Old June 11, 2014   #6
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayc View Post
I've got a few Variegated growing too, though they are struggling a little at the moment as they have so much white on them. Perhaps if the summer ever warms up here they will grow a bit greener?

As long as the tomatoes keep ripening she is happy with any plants i have.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old June 11, 2014   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I'm not sure what you say is warmer in he UK, ahem, but for most of us who have grown Variegata, the variegation disappears when it's really warm, and then reappears when it cools down.

Carolyn
Old June 11, 2014   #8
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Lol, recent highs here have been pretty lukewarm at around 63-4 F, with lots of cloudy rainy days! I think we are forecast some higher temps in the next few days. It does get hot in the poly-tunnels when the suns out though. Still I don't think there is much current chance of the variegated patten fading at the moment. I remember being surprised when it was mentioned a while back, by either you or Remy that NSL187099's variegation faded in the heat as it stayed pretty colourful all summer long here as does Variegated.
Old June 11, 2014   #9
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Its scorching hot where im at In Los Angeles county and the variegation in my plant is quite pronounced. Probably at least a third to half of the plant.
Old June 11, 2014   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Lol, recent highs here have been pretty lukewarm at around 63-4 F, with lots of cloudy rainy days! I think we are forecast some higher temps in the next few days. It does get hot in the poly-tunnels when the suns out though. Still I don't think there is much current chance of the variegated patten fading at the moment. I remember being surprised when it was mentioned a while back, by either you or Remy that NSL187099's variegation faded in the heat as it stayed pretty colourful all summer long here as does Variegated.
I havent yet memorized all the NSL accession numbers,' so why don 't you tell me what that one is.

Carolyn
Old June 11, 2014   #11
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, it's a GWR, potato leaf dwarf variety with variegation (marm), I sourced mine from here http://www.sampleseeds.com/?page_id=4260 , Tatiana lists a history http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/N...b=General_Info

064 by jayb 35, on Flickr