Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 14, 2016   #1
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default I require advice on a Black From Tula Plant..

Hi..I have been growing some Tasty Toms and Black from Tula inside under lights...Everything was going not too bad considering I am in New Zealand so my growing has been basicly out of season...
However I noted that one Black from Tula plant had developed a light yellowish green in the leaves in the upper part of the plant...I do not think any other plant has this problem but I hope after viewing my photos which unfortunately were taken under flash somebody could identify if anything is wrong here and what action I should take..

Thanks Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2505.jpg (377.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2506.jpg (379.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2507.jpg (436.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2508.jpg (232.5 KB, 57 views)
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2016   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Most likely a nutrient deficiency, either nitrogen or magnesium. Container growing is famous for that. Try watering with a solution of 1 Tablespoon Epsom Salt in 1 gallon of water. it should green back up in a day or 2. I wouldn't do it until it needs watering next.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2016   #3
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi..Thank you so much...I have no faith in my own judgement...I did not think it was a disease ...more like a nutriant deficiency ...I have Epsom salts on hand which if I recall is Magnesian..its 1am here and I have just given my Black from Tula 2 litres each of water...and then checked my emails...Never mind I will wait a couple of days be fore I administer the mix you suggest ..its only one plant ...there are 3 others and no problems with them and just beside them are 4 x Tasty Toms..which flowered beautifully and there are tomatoes everywhere???All my plants have been grown from cuttings..
BUT
The Black from Tula's flowers never really opened and now look 1/2 dead and dried looking although I do have some fruit...I have put extra lighting up to try and improve things....
Now this goes back some time but I had a Lisa King in my greenhouse and was shifting it and tripped and dropped it and broke the whole head off it....so I put it in soil in a container and later I bought it inside where it looked extremely good ..then later I moved it to where my Tasty Toms And Black from Tula were ..only one tomato developed from the Lisa King and I did not like the look of the flowers on it ...Considering my tomato season was a dead loss with diseases etc I now regret bringing it in and putting it near my inside winter plants...I may be wrong but it could have affected my Black from Tulas as the same symptoms on the flowers on the Lisa King are basicly the same as on the Black from Tula....yesterday I removed it from inside so thats the end of Lisa King ....
Meantime my Tasty Toms are looking good and I have an oddball?? Which of course beats everything?? Its a lateral I just put in some soil and away it went...I do not recall what variety it is...I am hoping its a red fruit and not a yellow as they are long and oval something like a Rosalita...which were not very nice but then nothing in my greenhouse tasted any good..hence my determination to grow inside...Now the season here is basicly starting with small plants now in the gardening centres...and I have major alterations in my greenhouse to be done so I hope the weather stays as good as it has been for the last month... Now to water my Tasty Toms,cook some tea (at 2.20am???) and get some sleep..

Regards Ron

Last edited by murihikukid; August 14, 2016 at 10:20 AM.
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2016   #4
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

I was once told that the hooking of the leaf (looking like a parrot's beak) was due to calcium deficiency. Whether from insufficient calcium or the plant's inability to use the calcium because of another deficiency, I don't know.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote