Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 24, 2013   #1
elight
Tomatovillian™

Default Need help growing in ground!

This is my third year planting in containers, but an opportunity just came up to take a plot at a local community garden. I know it's late, but I'm tempted to take it. I'm hoping some folks can help me with some in-ground knowledge as I've only ever grown above ground! Questions:

1. There will be no time for soil analysis or anything like that. What's my best bet for dealing with/amending the soil, given that this is a community garden and I'm not going to be building a raised bed?

2. I have four healthy plants that have been growing in containers for a month. Can I just snip off branches and plant them? Is it really this easy to plant a cutting?

3. Is there a preferred method for applying granular fertilizer? I have Tomato-Tone from last year, and also Lilly Miller 10-10-10 that I'm using this year, as the former didn't perform well in the 'Tainers.

4. Using a Florida Weave seems easiest and most economical. Can anyone recommend what type of stakes to use? I've seen both wood and metal. What's cheapest (while getting the job done)? Also, any particular type of twine?

5. Anything else that I, as a container gardener, should be thinking about?

Thanks in advance!
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2013   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hi there,

I grow most of my tomatoes in the ground and contrary to much of what one reads they will do fine, better even, unless there are significant disease issues in the soil which is typically less of a problem the further North you go. As far as fertilizer and ammendments, check the rules of the garden where you will be renting your plot. Mine is in an organic garden and no non organic products are allowed.

tomatoes are actually supposed to grow in soil in the ground. I think sometimes folks fuss too much really. The type of stake will depend on the type of tomato you grow. I like to use a central stake to which I tie in the plant as well as a cage to help support the branches and fruit. Admittedly though, a Florida weave would be cheaper. Strong and long bamboo poles work and are inexpensive. Hardwood stakes are nice but more expensive and coated metal stakes are most expensive but last forever so depends on how many you need as well as how long you think you'll need them for.
I'm not sure how long your season is but I would think it would be unlikely that you would get a crop from cuttings started this late. I would think you'd be better off trying to find some well started plants for purchase instead.
Best wishes and enjoy you new garden space.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2013   #3
Uncle Dunkel
Tomatovillian™

I agre with KarenO. I think your container plants would benefit from being moved into the ground. Compost and or wormcasting are always a good bet if you can't get a soil test. Cloning works better if you use a sucker from your existing plants. Use a rooting compound will help. A good organic foliar spray will do wonders as well. Store bought plants would be faster than a clone I would think. I use cages for support here in KY also have used wooden stakes. Flordia weave is great if you have a bunch of tomatos in a row. If you just have a few a central wooden stake works great. or bamboo.
Uncle Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2013   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

1. I'd work the TT into the top few inches of soil in a circle outside the root ball of the container plant after it's in the ground and water it in well. If you've got enough compost you could work a shovelful of it into the soil where each plant will go before hand. If it's in a community plot you can just hope that it's in pretty good condition pH-wise already.

2. I've transplanted tomato plants from 5 gal. containers that have been in them until they have fruitwithout trimming and they were fine, so it shouldn't be an issue. Water them in well and giving them some weak fish/seaweed solution after transplanting wouldn't hurt.

3. Think I answered this in #1, but as Karen said, there may be rules about what kinds of fertilizers you are permitted to use.

4. If you can't get stakes for free (we get them from dumpsters outside of a woodworking shop), then get the sturdiest, longest lasting option if you're going to continue to stake or florida-weave in the future. For florida-weave, the sturdier the better. I prefer to have one pruned indeterminate plant/stake but the wood is free.

Jute can stretch after getting wet but if you have a way to tighten them up, it's cheap. Tomato twine or baling twine isn't too expensive in bulk and can be reused.

5. Less watering should be needed when the tomatoes are in the ground. A mulch of dried grass clippings, shredded leaves, spoiled hay, newspapers or whatever you can get free and/or are permitted to use could cut down on weeding, watering and soil splash on leaves.

Good luck!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote