Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 4, 2011   #1
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Default Kelloggs Breakfast vs KBX

I have recently tried a KB tomato and it was great. If you could fuse a tomato with a cantaloupe, then that's how I would describe it. I have seed for KBX (which I haven't tasted) that I plan to use for my fall tomatoes.....what is the difference in texture and or taste if any?

Thanks
Rob
mysidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2011   #2
starsevol
Tomatovillian™

I have never grown either one, so I am not going to be much help.
I had to decide which to try for next year and I went for the KB seed.
I went with that one because it is older and had such a great write up in Carolyn's book.
I would love to read all the responces to this thread though, because for me the decision was not an easy one to make.
starsevol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2011   #3
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

No difference in terms of taste and texture between KB and KBX. I found KBX to be slightly more productive.

JEff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2011   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

And another tomato enthusiast's view (because we all have different taste buds!). I find KB to be a bit too sweet/mild for my preference. I pick up a more tart character in KBX that makes it much more interesting for me to eat. It reminds me very much of Aunt Gertie's Gold and Yellow Brandywine in terms of flavor.
Old July 5, 2011   #5
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

I picked KBX after growing both last year. It was slightly more productive. I couldn't taste a difference between them.
JMO,
Tom
Old July 5, 2011   #6
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

I think they taste very similar. I prefer KBX over KB because there is no CRUD in seedling stage and because it's PL and PL offers greater disease protection for me in my very humid/hot garden....
Old July 5, 2011   #7
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigdaddyJ View Post
I think they taste very similar. I prefer KBX over KB because there is no CRUD in seedling stage and because it's PL and PL offers greater disease protection for me in my very humid/hot garden....

Interesting you say that, because PL doesn't do very well here where it is very warm and humid.They are usually the first to be affected by that. Either way it sounds as if I like KB, than I will like KBX, despite the subtle differences.

NCTomatoman, I will agree it is rather sweet, but is a good contrast to some strong acidic maters.

Thanks for the replies

Rob
Old July 5, 2011   #8
oc tony
Tomatovillian™

Some people have reported that KB is very susceptible to the crud in the seedling stage and KBX is not.
oc tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011   #9
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc tony View Post
Some people have reported that KB is very susceptible to the crud in the seedling stage and KBX is not.

That just sounds like one more plus for KBX..
Old July 5, 2011   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

This year neither one did well for me. Last year KBX was fantastic. Taste is very similar. I had no luck trying to grow KBX as a fall tomato and I gave it several plantings. Dr. Wyches on the other hand did really good as a fall tomato last year but the taste is not quite as good as KBX to me but it is still a very good tomato.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011   #11
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I've switched to KBX from KB. KBX gets the nod due to slightly better taste, better productivity, and fewer (crud) problems at the seedling stage. For me it is a mid to late season producer.

It is a beautiful tomato with very good flavor.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011   #12
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Of all the tomato varieties I start each year, Kellogg's Breakfast is the most crud-susceptible by far. If I plant 50 varieties in 50 cells, using my dense planting technique, I can spot the cell of KB easily by site once the true leaves form. KBX doesn't get the crud.
Old July 5, 2011   #13
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Craig. Never saw crud on KBX but fairly common on KB. One year I lost all 3 KB seedlings to CRUD but usually they would out grow it but it would set them back weeks! DTM's then would be 100+. A year without KB made me very sad. A neighbor who thinks KB came from heaven was very disappointed too...;-)
Old July 6, 2011   #14
gardenmama
Tomatovillian™

KBX is my preference, (not that I am biased or anything ).

Every few years I try growing KB again only to have it go down to CRUD in the seedling stage or wilt out from one disease or another when the heat hits in June.

In side by side tastings at Tomatopalooza I can definitely tell a difference between KBX (a bit more assertive taste with a smooth, creamy texture) over KB (milder and can be a bit grainier in texture)