Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 31, 2015   #1
Traveler237
Tomatovillian™

Default Drooping Peppers

Hi All! I finally built up my version of the Earthtainers and got all my peppers and tomatoes planted! Excited for whats to come.

I'm noticing my peppers droop as of late, and some curl to the leaves. Nothing dramatic, but definitely noticeable. I'd say they've been in the container for about 3-4 days before it hit 80 degrees, then back into the 70's for the rest of the week.

Direct, full, all day sun.

I'm thinking it is just a bit of Wilt due to the recent heat and being newly transplanted, but doesn't change much in the cooler evening.

Am I worrying too much?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0331151903.jpg (216.1 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg 0331151903a.jpg (206.4 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 0331151904b.jpg (209.8 KB, 193 views)
Traveler237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

This is typical of pepper plants. When they are adjusting to warm temperatures they will usually show signs of fatigue. Also they will take a week or so to recover from transplant shock. By the end of the weekend they should be looking just fine.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2015   #3
drew51
Tomatovillian™

My concern is the black plastic may get too hot. To me the ideal temp range is 75-80, so if you're hitting 80, you want to cool them at that point.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #4
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Ditto with Drew on the black plastic. Way too hot for summer in CA. When the soil warms, remove the plastic and add some mulch around the plants.

Best of luck with your containers. Looking good.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #5
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruofgardens View Post
Ditto with Drew on the black plastic. Way too hot for summer in CA. When the soil warms, remove the plastic and add some mulch around the plants.

Best of luck with your containers. Looking good.
If Traveler is anywhere around the bay in Alameda county the average july temps are only around 75 degrees possibly with fog. The black plastic may be helpful in the summer with those temps especially when the foliage covers much of that plastic.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old April 8, 2015   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have noticed peppers wilt a little when potting a small plant up into a large container. I have a theory that it relates to the new media not yet being colonized with the correct mix of beneficial fungi and bacteria. All of that new media outside the root ball of the transplant is like an untamed Wild West from a bacterial perspective. The good guy bacteria have to go out, win their battles, and conquer the new land. Then your entire container will be "civilized," so to speak, and the plant will not have the stress of that raging battle. Wilt will go away and growth will accelerate. But like I said, it's just a theory.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #7
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I have noticed peppers wilt a little when potting a small plant up into a large container. I have a theory that it relates to the new media not yet being colonized with the correct mix of beneficial fungi and bacteria. All of that new media outside the root ball of the transplant is like an untamed Wild West from a bacterial perspective. The good guy bacteria have to go out, win their battles, and conquer the new land. Then your entire container will be "civilized," so to speak, and the plant will not have the stress of that raging battle. Wilt will go away and growth will accelerate. But like I said, it's just a theory.
I like that theory and explanation of it.....pretty cool.
Old May 14, 2015   #8
Traveler237
Tomatovillian™

Hi All:
Thanks for the responses! I am by the Bay...rare to get over 80. Since I posted, the peppers have grown and set fruit. We had a few hot days coupled with having just transplanted. They are recovering nicely!
Traveler237 is offline   Reply With Quote