Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 10, 2017   #1
WLeClair
Tomatovillian™

Default Agribon???

Hi, all. I set up a couple of row tunnels to keep some bugs (earwigs, mainly) off some of my seedlings. After some research I purchased Agribon AG-15. As it's described it does "not retain any unnecessary heat". Well, I set it up and tested out the temp -- it was about 10 degrees hotter in the tunnel than outside. That's fine right now when temps are relatively cool, but come May it'll be 100 in there. Does anyone else have experience with AG-15?
WLeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

For insects I would use Nylon Tulle. They come in various mesh size and colors.
Sold at WM and all fabric, craft stores. Real cheap.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2017   #3
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

I've only used Agribon for my cut flowers in the fall and winter. I use it as frost protection throughout the winter. So, it's something I left over them for a long period of time, but I wouldn't now that we're almost frost free. Like you said, it's going to make the air a little warmer, especially if it's touching the ground. It's meant to trap a little heat and keep warmth from the ground around your plants. Your plants are also going to get only 85 percent of the sunlight on any given day, but maybe that's a good thing where you are. If you're looking to regulate the temperature, I'm not sure Agri-bon is the way to go, but why not try it? After all, it can be fun to experiment.
adewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2017   #4
WLeClair
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm definitely going to try it with my tunnels and see what happens, with careful monitoring of the temps. What stinks about it is that there are several varieties of Agribon -- and the AG-15 is supposed to be ultralight weight and not trap heat. I will definitely get some tulle (my wife loves the stuff) for our grapes and blueberries to protect them from the birds. Thanks, Gardeneer, for that suggestion.
WLeClair is offline   Reply With Quote