Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 7, 2011   #1
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Are Russian Rose Tomatoes Orange?

I thought I was growing two Russian Rose plants, but the tomatoes appear to be quite orange in color. I’m guessing these seeds were mislabeled. I grew quite a few yellow/orange and I’ve included pictures of some of the large ones, but none of them look similar to the miss labeled Russian Rose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NotRussianRose01.JPG (90.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg NotRussianRose02.JPG (76.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DrWyche01.JPG (51.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DrWyche02.JPG (74.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg KBX01.JPG (56.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg KBX02.JPG (54.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg YellowBW01.JPG (68.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg YellowBW02.JPG (50.7 KB, 31 views)
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I thought I was growing two Russian Rose plants, but the tomatoes appear to be quite orange in color. I’m guessing these seeds were mislabeled. I grew quite a few yellow/orange and I’ve included pictures of some of the large ones, but none of them look similar to the miss labeled Russian Rose.
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Russian_Rose

Above is Tania's page for Russian Rose.

And I looked in several SSE YEarbooks and all who list it list it in the PInk/Purple section and say it's pink.

So the Tomatofest seeds are wrong. And in the past there have been some problems with wrong seed from Tomatofest, not that that's unusual for any source for OP varieties, but perhaps a bit more than others.

You can check the thread in the Seed and Plant Source Forum and take a look at the Tomatofest thread if you wish. Right now I can't remember if there's just one thread or more than one so take a look around at the threads in that Forum.
Old October 7, 2011   #3
Bama mater
Tomatovillian™

I purchased Russian Rose seed several years back from Totally Tomatoes and have grown them every year since and they always produce med - large pink great tasting fruit and production has been very good also.
Bama mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2011   #4
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

My packet of Russian Rose seeds was not mislabeled by TomatoFest. I made a mistake. I miss read my notes. The garden plot that most my tomatoes are in this year is 50’x60’. There are nine rows with 30 plants each. The plants that were in question were at the beginning of row four. Row four took two sheet of paper to denote. Generally when I start a second page, I write row 4 continued. Well I didn’t write that on the top of the second page of row four and I transposed the two pages. TomatoFest did not make a mistake in this instance. My apologies.
Dutch
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote