Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 2, 2009   #1
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Default Question for Andrey and pepper growers

Rec'd seed for Tenderness that I believe originated with Andrey. Planted three plants, two plants are non bell and one plant is bell form. I am thinking they are correct as non bell or taper. Does that make the bell shape "not" Tenderness as they are the same in all ways except the tail end!

Same thing happened with Quadrato d'asti Giallo, the same in all ways except the bottoms. Both have the same green/yellow marbling to the ripened golden yellow color. And all peppers on this one plant that was not as expected, were the same in both QdG and Tenderness meaning it was not just one pepper but all the peppers on this plant. I have not grown enough peppers to know if this is common or should be consider not the same pepper. Can you have both bell and non bell as the same variety name?

The pic of Parnas shows a bumpy surface on the peppers.... is that a climate problem and saved seeds should be ok?? Patty
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2009   #2
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

It looks like you have some insect damage on that Parnas plant.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2009   #3
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Dear Patty, the original Nezhnost ("Tenderness" in English translation) sweet pepper should definately have tappered non-bell fruit shape. This is a one of the best sweet peppers in my collection for both earliness, flavour and production.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2009   #4
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Andrey, So now would you consider the bell form of Tenderness as something new? Same with Quadrato d'asti Giallo taper form a new name?? Not sure how to mark my saved seeds as both were worthy of growing again. Would it confuse the variety by keeping the name the same but listing it as incorrect form or better not to circulate them at all??......... Patty
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2009   #5
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Tender Bell will be a good name, probably

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2009   #6
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

Looks like some of my peppers here recently that suffered stink bug damage (hate those buggers!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueaussi View Post
It looks like you have some insect damage on that Parnas plant.
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote