Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 22, 2008   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default watering seedlings

How often do you water seedlings under normal conditions. Seems like I am having to water mine every two days now and I dont remember watering that often last spring.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2008   #2
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Mine needed watering that frequently last year, particularly when they were small and the heat was still on in the house.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2008   #3
robin303
Tomatovillian™

I check mine by picking them up to see how heavy they are. Do admit with temps in the 20 & 30's with the fireplace going and Central heat they do dry out rather fast.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2008   #4
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I am stuck with temps between 70 and 77 degrees and I do have a fan on the seedlings pretty regular. Not a big deal but it just seems that I am watering more than in the past. As long as they are healthy I guess I dont have anything to worry about
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2008   #5
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

depends on their size. when i first transplant the seedlings they get watered in well. they can go a week or longer at that stage. as they get bigger, frequency of watering gets shorter, maybe every 3 to 4 days. i tend not to water, until the soil is pretty dry when i poke my finger in. growth is slower, and i get a more compact plant. also less worry about disease conditions brought on by too much moisture. i try to water them just before they start to wilt.
toughens them up i like to think.

keith in calumet
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2008   #6
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

I think too that the risk of overwatering and the damage done is bigger than the other way around - and there it depends on your situation I think (drafty, temperature,...)
I have my newspaper pots together in some containers/flats (with holes in the bottom) that I can put in a large container so that the pots can soak from the bottom for a couple of minutes each time ... this way I can do it frequently with ease so I don't force myself to keep them 'wet'
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote