Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old December 4, 2010   #1
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Default SETTFest 2010: need descriptor for Cherokee Yellow

I am doing a write-up for a friend (see my next thread, coming soon) and I cannot find a descriptor for Cherokee Yellow.

Suze, was this one of yours???
Old December 4, 2010   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I moved this to increase the chance Bob will see it. He brought Cherokee Yellow to the tasting.

http://www.feldoncentral.com/garden/...ellow.jpg.html
Old December 4, 2010   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I believe this was an accidental cross or sport in either Bob's (or maybe JohnnyRock's) garden a couple of years ago. Anyway, Bob would know.
Old December 4, 2010   #4
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Much obliged. BTW hiding any Golden Gems seeds? I have... two!
Old December 4, 2010   #5
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Much obliged. BTW hiding any Golden Gems seeds? I have... two!
Afraid not - I'm also down to two seeds, just looked. When I ordered it from TGS a couple of years ago, there were only ten in the pack to begin with. It's an expensive variety for the amount of seeds sent (10 seeds for $3.10) - I guess because it is a newer hybrid.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/orange.htm

Edit/add - if you want those two seeds, you are welcome to them. I doubt I'll be growing it next year anyway. Just note if you go to the trouble to order some from TGS, best to order two packs and stock up since there are only 10 in a pack...
Old December 4, 2010   #6
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Was this perhaps from a Cherokee Green plant at one time?

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Old December 6, 2010   #7
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

I'm not sure how I wound up growing Cherokee Yellow tomatoes. I'll check my seed inventory to see if I have a seed packet. I may have bought it as a transplant. It's curious that I can't find anything about them on the web. They are pretty prolific and tasty too. I'm pretty sure I saved seeds last year. It could have originated from a mislabeled transplant I bought or something. I'll see if I can find out more.
Old December 6, 2010   #8
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappybob View Post
I'm not sure how I wound up growing Cherokee Yellow tomatoes. I'll check my seed inventory to see if I have a seed packet. I may have bought it as a transplant. It's curious that I can't find anything about them on the web. They are pretty prolific and tasty too. I'm pretty sure I saved seeds last year. It could have originated from a mislabeled transplant I bought or something. I'll see if I can find out more.
Someone (I thought it was you, but it could have also been JohnnyRock) gave me a packet of seeds at our 2008 tasting. I still have them - they are in a 5" x 3" plastic ziplock bag with Cherokee Yellow written on the front with a black sharpie.

The reason you're not going to find anything on the web because you (or John) named it and no one else has probably grown it, I guess. That is what I recall, anyway.

I still haven't grown Cherokee Yellow, but will add it to the grow list for next year.
Old January 25, 2011   #9
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

AIYEE!!! I went out to the greenhouse in Katy today, where all the seedlings are underway. Total crop failure on the Cherokee Yellows Not a single seed came up and we had put down quite a few. Everything else has come up, even the very-slow varieties (Hugh's --who knew it'd be so slow? Musta been the heating not working 100%...)

I told them to try again with the remaining seeds, and if they didn't come up this time, replace them with Bloody Butchers. I may try starting a few CY's here at the house on my own but I am not optimistic.

This was from the 2010 SETTFest samples being given out at the time --already dried.
Old January 27, 2011   #10
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Sorry to hear that about the CY's. I planted 4 seeds and 3 are up. I replanted 6 more and they all came up. These were seeds that I saved from last years crop. Who did you get the seeds from? I don't remember bringing any seeds. I'd say plant some more at your house where you can watch them and keep them watered. Good Luck!
Old January 30, 2011   #11
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Here is one of mine.
Old February 6, 2011   #12
JohnnyRock
Tomatovillian™

Hi all, the Cherokee Yellow began from what was supposed to be a Cherokee Green in my backyard garden in Katy, TX. The name seemed like a natural fit since my best guess is it's an accidental cross of CG with some yellow variety. I gave both Suze and Snappy Bob seeds for CY at a SETTFest, I think it was in 2008. My single CY attempt last year didn't germinate, but one this year has. I emailed SnappyBob a while back, and he replied that he's grown it each season since he got the seeds and has been keeping seeds from the best, so he may have some that are further along to being stabile. Anyway, I still have quite a few seeds from the original, and I'm willing to send some to interested growers for just a SASE. Just let me know with a PM.

Thanks,
John
Old February 7, 2011   #13
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Thanks for clearing that up JR. I was really surprised to find out that you and I were the only ones growing these. It never occurred to me that these were not readily available. However it happened, I'm glad it did. They are one of my favorites. Maybe we should change the name to "Rocky-Snap Yellow"
Old May 19, 2011   #14
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Shoot - I meant to reply again to this thread a few months ago and completely forgot!

I would suggest that this "Cherokee Yellow" be renamed to something else before it gets into too wide of a distribution and it's too late.

Although I have tasted it before, I ate one today and was reminded that it really is nothing at all like a Cherokee Purple (or Green or Chocolate) in terms of the flavor profile.

My guess is that it was either a cross with something else, or just a mixup and that it is not a mutation of CP. Also, there is currently a Cherokee Lime, a Golden Cherokee - and also a Cherokee Lemon.

It is a darned good yellow though. :-)

I would maybe go with the Rocky Snap Yellow for a name, or whatever strikes your fancy Bob and/or John.
Old May 19, 2011   #15
JohnnyRock
Tomatovillian™

Hi Suze,

It started from seeds labeled as Cherokee Green. So like you said, it's very likely either a cross of Cherokee Green with some other yellow, or it could have been a seed from another type of yellow that got mixed in with the CG seeds. Either way, it's a heck of a good tomato! :-)

One question since you and Snappy have grown this variety for a few more seasons than me. Does it seem stabile between plants and from season to season? If so, then that's a good indicator it was a mixed up seed. If not, then it's more likely a cross.

You said it doesn't taste like any of the Cherokee family. Are there other varieties that you would say it comes close to?

As for naming, I'm open to suggestions. Rocky Snap Yellow is certainly unique!

Could you post a picture or two of yours (since I'm just getting mine in the ground about now in Colorado).

JR