Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 8, 2015   #1
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

Default Repotting Mixture

I've decided on Pro-Mix BX as my seed starting (maters) mixture. I would appreciate any recommendations for a repotting mixture for transplants.

Thanks,

Dan
Old February 8, 2015   #2
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I use PRO-MIX® HP MYCORRHIZAE™ as many of us do.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I'm using MG Organic Potting Mix. http://www.miraclegro.com/smg/goprod...soil/prod70318
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2015   #4
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

Thanks...

Dan
Old February 8, 2015   #5
cippoli
Tomatovillian™

I use a 50/50 mix of Pro Mix bx with my homemade compost
cippoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2015   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Depends... Repotting into what, please?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2015   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have also wondered about a mix of 1/3 potting mix, 1/3 pro-mix and 1/3 garden soil if you're repotting into a red solo-type cup with full intentions of planting out in a garden? I know that garden soil is heavier, I think there might be a lot more to it than density. The same would be for raised beds. I'm not sure that going completely soil-free is the right approach. In fact, I'm leaning against it.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2015   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

If I have any compost at all in my mix, I get stem rot and lose a lot of plants. It is a lot worse when the weather is cold and wet, even though they are in a greenhouse.

I have a field full of composted cow manure mixed with rotten old hay. I tried re-potting a cutting of a house plant in it. It was Wandering Jew; it looks like a red philadendron. Someone gave it to me at farmer's market. I threw it in one of my animals' water dishes and let it sit there all summer. It grew roots and seemed healthy, even in the stagnant water. Then I re-potted it into the cow manure and old hay mix. The stem has shriveled and rotted all the way up the plant. This is the same amendment that makes my garden tomatoes do so well, but I think it will kill my small plants in containers from damping off.

My idea to get around the stem rot issue is to keep using pro mix through the solo cup stage. Then I plan on cutting the bottom half out of the cup and setting it into a 13 gal smart pot of my manure and old hay mixture. Hopefully keeping the top half of the cup as a collar for the stem will keep it from rotting. We shall see. It is the cost of media that keeps me from growing much of a container crop, and hopefully I can find a way to use what I have.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2015   #9
Rfdillon
Tomatovillian™

I, too, am looking for the ideal mix for my containers. I just transplanted my seedlings into solo cups with the following mixture:
(3) 1/2 gallons peat moss
(1)1/2 gallons perlite
(3) 1/2 gallons compost
(1) 1/2 gallons vermiculite
4 TbspnAzomite
5 Tbspn kelp meal
5 Tbspn epsom salts
7 Tbspn lime

Do you all think this sounds like a good mix, or will it kill my seedlings?
Rfdillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2015   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

If you mean repotting to the solo cup or 4 oz container size, I use dry straight promixBX, and sprinkle a fine dusting of tomato tone on the top. Then water thoroughly. At this stage they should have about 1-2 sets of true leaves and be about 2 weeks old. That fine dusting of TT should take them to week 4 where they will get just a pinch more watered in. No more fert until final transplant into the Earthboxes. By this time they are also being well solarized, but remember, I am doing all this in August and September. Opposite season to the rest of the country. By week six they are 6-8 inches tall and ready to transplant.

If you meant transplant to final container, its a bit different. The difference is a mycorrhizae dip, dolomite already mixed into the container promix, and a 3 cup fertilizer strip of Tomato Tone placed on the opposite side of the container than where the tomatoes are placed.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2015   #11
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Rfdillon, I don't see anything that will outright kill them. I've used peat-perlite-vermiculite with a little lime both for seed starting and potting up and it was fine (but watch how much you water).

I've never used compost directly in seedling cups but I've heard of people doing so. I think the issue is what kind of compost -- if it's the really well-aged stuff you're golden. Raw cow manure, not so much. I've also read that compost can also add to the issue of dampening off but I wouldn't worry too much if you're not overwatering or keeping them in a closed box.

I potted up into 5:1:1 coconut husk chips, coir, and perlite. Just wanted to try something different this year. Seems to be working pretty well but I'd use ProMix if I could!
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2015   #12
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

For potting up seedlings FoxFarm's Light Warrior is hard to beat.

Ami
Old February 9, 2015   #13
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I start seeds in espoma seed start and pot up to oversize/tall 6 packs in fertilome. After they recover they get some myco. Next pot up is 4 inch. I add a few spoonfulls of organic bagged cow manure (not the heavy cheaper kind mixed with whatever) to what ever potting mix I use. This year I'm using fertilome potting mix with additional perlite. Great stuff, so easy to wet down. Peppers love the manure as well. Worm castings are a great addition too.

I bought a bag of buffalo loam for peppers. We'll see how that goes. It's expensive!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2015   #14
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I start the seeds in pro-mix bx, and pot up to solo cups in pro-mix bx also. After
that tomatoes go into my raised beds. Peppers usually stay in containers. I fertilize
the seedlings with diluted Fish and Seaweed fertilizer. I think I'll try the way ginger
does her's with a light dusting of tomato tone on top after they have their second
true leaves. I like to try different things.

I'm trying to find Fafard's super fine germinating mix. Just to try it out. Not easy
to find. A nursery in Norfolk told me they should be getting some next week. Will
be interesting to see how it works for me.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2015   #15
pipefitter508
Tomatovillian™

I use Fafard's super fine mix for all my seedlings when i repot i use Farard 4M mix perlite and horse compost the mix is in 1/3rds Bob
pipefitter508 is offline   Reply With Quote