Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old September 7, 2006   #1
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Default Carolyn's older seeds from seed-share

I'm germinating some of Carolyn's seeds from 1995-96 that I have in my informal SHer 'seed bank'. I kinda just took a small clump or whatever fell outa the envelope, depending on how many were left in the packet

Sown on Sept. 7th:

Golden Ponderosa '95 - 14
Poitron Escarlate '95 - 13
Mariette '95 - 26
Tyborowski Plum '96 - 13
Becker's Blau '96 - forgot to write down # before covering the seeds
Dixie Golden Giant '96 - 12
Dr Lyle '96 - 16
Khirhiv '96 - 12

Sown today (Sept.8th) because I missed them when sorting seeds

Velvet Red '96 - 10
Lucy '96 - 8
Annie '96 - 9

In past years I had excellent results with moist cotton pads inside tiny ziplocs, and using a bottom heat source (old lamp base). Most were 100% germination, or close.

Last year I started late, and skipped pre-germination and no bottom heat (lamp died), and my results were rather poor. I had no germination from Poitron Escarlate or Mariette, but I only tried 4 seeds of everything, based on previous years' results!

This year I'm starting late too and have skipped the pre-germination stage, but have decided to sit the trays on a bed on an electric blanket - I have to organise it this morning. Hopefully I'll get better results than last year.

Carolyn, out of the list above, which are the biggest ones for fruit size please? (Assuming that Dixie Golden Giant is one of them )

Patrina

Edited to add that I soaked them all overnight.

Oops, I forgot:

Peace '95 - 5 (I have no more seeds of this one. Hopefully someone else got some to germinate last season - Skip or Glenn? Can't remember who else got some of these.)
Old September 7, 2006   #2
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Good luck Patrina.

To pinch the Tomato Queen's line, I'm not Carolyn. However, I'm getting lousy germination out of my remaining oldies.

This year I have:
Dr Lyle '96
Khirhiv '96
Velvet Red '96
... and a few more likee olf Kelloggs Breakfast et al.

Didn't soak them but they were spread on wet seed-raising mix, sprayed with water, let rest, sprayed with water, let rest, topped with wet mix, kept under plastic in a humid environment, and they have the bathroom floor under them with the heating set at 35C (nice on the tootsies).

Saras Galapagos not up either, second year running, and was very careful to shallow sow them with the lightest dusting of mix on top.

But I'm hoping the Tomato Gods are just a bit tardy and the babies come through.

Gotta say, though, working with fresh seed is heaven. Problem being, not all fresh seed is the real deal. I hope old Dr Lyle wakes up.

Over to Carolyn to answer your question re. size.

Best wishes for your season Patrina.

Grub
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2006   #3
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

These are _some_ of the seeds I did earlier this year in 2x3 _zippy_ baggies. They are taped to a larger _quart sized_ baggie. They were placed on the other side of the fridge where it was warmer. Germination was 3 days at that time.

Seed-scape in 2x3 baggies taped to outside of fridge 4/11/06

White Moonvine germinated

White Moonvine out of baggie

Sweet Pea 'Matucana'

Cosmos 'Psycho White' germinated
Old September 29, 2006   #4
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Thats very detailed photo's Polar Lace, just exactly what I wanted for future reference and use,
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Golden Ponderosa '95 - 14
Poitron Escarlate '95 - 13
Mariette '95 - 26
Tyborowski Plum '96 - 13
Becker's Blau '96 - forgot to write down # before covering the seeds
Dixie Golden Giant '96 - 12
Dr Lyle '96 - 16
Khirhiv '96 - 12

Sown today (Sept.8th) because I missed them when sorting seeds

Velvet Red '96 - 10
Lucy '96 - 8
Annie '96 - 9

Patrina,

I think you can tell that I haven't been reading this Forum at all. Sorry about that.

Of the ones listed above the ones with the largest fruit size would be Dr. Lyle, Golden Ponderosa and Khirhiv.

Dixie Golden Giant is NOT giant.
Old October 3, 2006   #6
Patrina_Pepperina

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137
Dixie Golden Giant is NOT giant.
Hehehe Carolyn, OK I have reasonable germination from Golden Ponderosa (9 out of 14), but not from the others as mentioned above, so I'm feeling like a failure with older seeds again this year

On a side note, no germination from Orange Strawberry '96 yet, but have started some '97 in a little baggie, and am keeping it warm in my bra You should get a giggle outa that I reckon :wink:

Patrina
Old October 3, 2006   #7
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

I have two Golden Ponderosa from the same seed share (Patrina sent them last year).

They are very weird looking runts. Must take a picture of them when I get hold of the camera again. They don't seem to have a main stem, but two large leaves. There is some weird growth happening. Can't describe it well, so will take a picture shortly.
Spatzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2006   #8
Patrina_Pepperina

Hey Spatz, most of my Golden Ponderosa are coming up blind, just 2 strong cotyledons and no growing tip. Actually one has a kinda saucer shaped leaf sitting on top of an antenna I had similar results last year with this one!

I think I have 2 showing true leaves tho.

Carolyn, I notice that Mariette is PL. Do you recall anything about fruit size or colour or taste?

I have one Orange Strawberry seedling from the '97 seeds, and one Velvet Red but it's looking a bit poorly and still has it's seedcoat on. *Fingers crossed* that it makes it!

Patrina