Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 23, 2010   #1
lycopene
Tomatovillian™

Default Danko

I have a weakness for buying tomato seeds. I just bought some more seeds from Gleckler's, and out of all of them, I couldn't help but start Danko (don't judge me please I know it's late for my region!)

Anyway... I've seen it on some "best hearts" discussions, but the information online is conflicting. On the Gleckler's site, it said "deteminate" and on Sandhill website it said "semi-determinate." Which is it?

Also the picture from Gleckler's website didn't even look like a heart variety...<confused>

Can I get some of your feedback on whether you found it to be determinate or semi-determinate (i.e. do I have to stake/cage?) And if you have a picture that would be wonderful because I keep an online notebook with pictures and I want to add it

Thanks!
lycopene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycopene View Post
I have a weakness for buying tomato seeds. I just bought some more seeds from Gleckler's, and out of all of them, I couldn't help but start Danko (don't judge me please I know it's late for my region!)

Anyway... I've seen it on some "best hearts" discussions, but the information online is conflicting. On the Gleckler's site, it said "deteminate" and on Sandhill website it said "semi-determinate." Which is it?

Also the picture from Gleckler's website didn't even look like a heart variety...<confused>

Can I get some of your feedback on whether you found it to be determinate or semi-determinate (i.e. do I have to stake/cage?) And if you have a picture that would be wonderful because I keep an online notebook with pictures and I want to add it

Thanks!
You weren't a member here last Spring but if you look in the seed wanted Forum you'll see a thread started by me asking folks to donate seeds to Adam Gleckler and many did, and we were concentrating on varieties that were somewhat rare and/or hard to get. And if you look closely you'll see that I was the one who donated the Danko seeds.

it's a wonderfully productive medium sized red heart with great taste and my original seeds were from Andrey in Belarus who posts here.

In my SSE listing for it I say det, Andrey also lists it and says det as do all the others who list it.

it's a close call sometimes to call a variety det or semi-determinate As Glenn to whom I also sent seeds for Danko he may have seen it as semi-determinate, I don't have a problem with that, and would add compact semi-determinate might be closer to it for some folks.

I don't stake tomatoes, nor do I cage them these days, I just let them sprawl, although this one obviously doesn't sprawl that much, in 12 gal gro-bags.

I just took a look at the picture of Danko from Gleckler's and I agree that the one fruit shown doesn't look like a heart. Adam describes it as a red heart so that's what he got, as he should have, and no doubt it was the angle of photography that didn't show the true heart form.

Hope that helps.
Old April 23, 2010   #3
lycopene
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Carolyn. I wouldn't have asked if there were more information online... at Tatiana's Tomato base for example.

Since you let it sprawl, I don't suppose you measured how large/tall it got? I can't let anything sprawl (the land is not mine) so I'm just wondering whether it will fall over without a stake/cage.
Old April 23, 2010   #4
farmall
Tomatovillian™

Lycopene

The plants are about 2-2 1/2 feet tall is about what I got and they will lay on the ground so if you want you can sstake it or cage it. It probably won't take much to hold it up. And sorry about the picture I am not much of a Photagrapher, but mine were definately heart shaped.

Thanks Adam
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2010   #5
lycopene
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much Adam, that was very helpful! Will definitely stake. *really excited to try my first heart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall View Post
Lycopene

The plants are about 2-2 1/2 feet tall is about what I got and they will lay on the ground so if you want you can sstake it or cage it. It probably won't take much to hold it up. And sorry about the picture I am not much of a Photagrapher, but mine were definately heart shaped.

Thanks Adam
Old April 24, 2010   #6
tuttimato
Tomatovillian™

I've got 2 Danko plants for the first time and they are beautiful. The foliage looks better than most hearts and the stems are very thick. The first bloom on both plants was a megabloom. I had no idea they were that short so I gave each one a couple 5' bamboo sticks. It's looking like they'll load out with fruit and the sticks will be needed. I haven't even seen one ripe yet and I'd decided it was a keeper.
tuttimato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2010   #7
lycopene
Tomatovillian™

Awesome!

Another question I forgot to ask...Does it keep producing all season long or does it act like other determinates and produce within a certain time window?
Old April 24, 2010   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycopene View Post
Awesome!

Another question I forgot to ask...Does it keep producing all season long or does it act like other determinates and produce within a certain time window?
For me it produced all season as do my other hearts.

And there are other determinates that produce all season as well
Old April 25, 2010   #9
lycopene
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn, this is just what I wanted to hear Actually it sounds like the perfect plant: productive, delicious, compact, beautiful, and from another thread I read, it seems early too. I hope it does well in my garden but it already sounds like a keeper.
Old April 25, 2010   #10
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

"And there are other determinates that produce all season as well"...

Carolyn,

What other determinates that produce all season would you rank highly in tastiness? I'm trying "Danko" for the first time this year and looking forward to it, along with a couple others, but would like to grow more of this category....thanks.
Tom
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2010   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalstonsc View Post
"And there are other determinates that produce all season as well"...

Carolyn,

What other determinates that produce all season would you rank highly in tastiness? I'm trying "Danko" for the first time this year and looking forward to it, along with a couple others, but would like to grow more of this category....thanks.
Tom
I should amend my comment to early varieties , most of which are det or semi-det as in compact indet rather than say just determinates, so will say that the following produce well for me in my gardening zone most of the summer:

Moravsky Div
Stupice
Matina
Kimberly
Galina's Yellow
Big Sungold Select, latest OP version of Sungold F1
Sophie's Choice

.... to name a few

And I rate Moravsky Div very highly on taste over the other three. it's one that I offered in my free seed offer here last year and this year.

Glenn at Sandhill says in his blurb for it in his catalog that he put out 4 inch transplants and had ripe fruits 40 days later. Now I don't think I can match that in terms of earliness, but it is about a 60 to 70 day early variety.
Old April 25, 2010   #12
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
Thanks. I'm also trying Galina's Yellow and Sophie's this year. Have tried Matina and Kimberly and didn't have great plants and both tastes were not very special for me either, so have not retried. Moravsky Div sounds very interesting, as does Big Sungold Select. I saw your offer, but frankly didn't recognize Moravsky Div as a possibility....and now am sorry, but will be looking for it!
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2010   #13
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Danko is one of the varieties I'm looking most forward to growing this year.
I'm quite happy I've got Miravsky Div growing as well.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2010   #14
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I grew Danko last year, and the plant was rather compact - it didn't even make it to the top of a small three ring box store cage.

Flavor was great, and fruit size was good for such a small plant. Interesting variety, worth growing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Danko.jpg (64.0 KB, 147 views)
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2010   #15
lycopene
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to reply the first time I saw that wonderful picture of the ripe Danko. Thank you for sharing that Suze. Do you mind if I use it for my online tomato list (not commercial)

Also that would be a great picture to show on Tatiana's tomato base...right now there's pretty much no info/picture for this variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
I grew Danko last year, and the plant was rather compact - it didn't even make it to the top of a small three ring box store cage.

Flavor was great, and fruit size was good for such a small plant. Interesting variety, worth growing.