Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old April 30, 2013   #1
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Default Potato Onion not Egyptian Walking

Has anyone had any experience or luck with growing the potato onion. I'd appreciate knowing when you planted it, fertilizer, watering, soil type and harvest date and also how it produced. Also how is it any different than shallots?
Old April 30, 2013   #2
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

I find this a fascinating site - has really perked my interest in potato onions

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1.../edit?hl=en_US

I found some potato onions on sales table at local garden store three years ago ...... not a huge crop, but some of mine did go to seed

I have started about a dozen from seed and have four bulbs from original planting in my garden plot. The ones shown in the pic were planted near end of March. Started the seedlings March 7.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013 04 28 16 Oaks 016.jpg (388.9 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by PNW_D; April 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
PNW_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #3
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Hey PNW_D thanks a bunch for that info. I started mine in the fall and they are bursting through now but didn't know what happens next. Oh I could guess what to do but nothing like learning from one who is experienced
Old April 30, 2013   #4
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Here in the north, I plant about October 1st, for root growth and about 6" of tops before the ground freezes. Your planting in the south may be different.

Dig them after a dry spell of about a week, if possible. The brown tops flopping over tells you when to harvest.

Cut the roots off close, and the tops off about 1" above the bulb. Mine store much longer than shallots (easily through the winter into spring).

If I remember correctly, planted small bulbs generally make one large onion, and large bulbs make a group of many small bulbs.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #5
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Kelly Winterton (author of the booklet referenced above) has done some very interesting things with potato onions. I've been following his reports for years, but with his supply so limited, I haven't wanted to get any of his potato onions until and unless I felt sure I had time to, er, hatch nests of them properly.

The potato onions he's been producing really should be given maximum opportunity to multiply, I think -- really *very* interesting results, he's had.

This is his website

https://sites.google.com/site/kellys.../potato-onions
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013   #6
riceke
Tomatovillian™

I guess I could read it but one other question: After you dig them up after ripening and do as mentioned about cutting back the tops and roots, how do you store them so that you can replant them next season? Or....could you replant them after ripening to multiply your stash?
Old May 1, 2013   #7
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I leave mine in the ground and use them like green onions. I really don't fertilize them, other than good soil. I water them when other stuff in the garden gets watered.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013   #8
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Well I did read the booklet and that is alot of information about everything one wanted to now about potato onions. Thanks for the wesite info.
Old February 28, 2014   #9
salix
Tomatovillian™

I have wanted to grow potato onions for several years, right after reading Kelly's comments over on SSE. They are not the sort of item that can be shipped from the U. S. A. Does anyone know of a source for them in Canada, preferably B. C.?
Old February 28, 2014   #10
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
I have wanted to grow potato onions for several years, right after reading Kelly's comments over on SSE. They are not the sort of item that can be shipped from the U. S. A. Does anyone know of a source for them in Canada, preferably B. C.?
Can't help with a Canadian source but I'll be growing some this season that might go to seed, and if they do I could send you some of those if you're interested. Last year only a few of the bulbs overwintered successfully and I'll be planting them if spring ever arrives because Kelly says he prefers to sow them in spring and I didn't want to risk losing the few I have left. I also ordered seeds from him this fall (he was sold out of his bulb stock) and have a couple dozen seedlings growing under lights.

kath

Last edited by kath; February 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2014   #11
salix
Tomatovillian™

Kath, I would love a few seeds if yours are successful in setting some. You are indeed 'Lady Bountiful' when it comes to seeds (and enablement, if that's a word!). Will probably have some new tomato seeds to send in exchange by then as well. Thanks so very much.
Old February 28, 2014   #12
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Salix

Finally found my seed stored safely away

Anyhoo, I'd be happy to send some along, although they are from 2012 and I know onion seed does not have a long shelf life ......

I had good germination when I planted some a year ago - nothing lost but a little of your time -

let me know if you're interested .........
Old February 28, 2014   #13
salix
Tomatovillian™

Denise - I would be delighted to check out their germination rates! P.M. on the way.
Old March 1, 2014   #14
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

This forum is so dangerous! I want to plant everything everyone is talking about - I am so intrigued by this potatoe onion now!!
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2014   #15
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

What else can be talked about, Luigiwu...

French Grey Griselle shallots
Ramps
???

Carlos "Danger"
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote