Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 28, 2015   #1
gregory
Tomatovillian™

Default Hardening Tomatoe plants

I just started today. We will have a few days of good weather and then by Thursday back inside. I am hoping after this cold front that I will be fortunate enough to get them in the ground no later then March 14th or so 2 weeks from now.

Time is of the essence since the growing season is short. My problem is a third of the plants are 19-20 inches in 6weeks amazing how fast they grow. I will have to trench plant the tall ones. The others are around 12 inches hopefully the hardening process will slow the growth height wise.
Old February 28, 2015   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Cool air and lights an inch or 2 above your plants are your slow grow friends.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2015   #3
gregory
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Cool air and lights an inch or 2 above your plants are your slow grow friends.
My wife likes the house cool. So the temps are between 60-65 and the lights were
Inch or two above. I bet those are the best growing temps. Now that they are outside tonight with a low of 47 maybe that will slow them down
Old February 28, 2015   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Hardening is mostly about tolerance to UV light. My seedlings will get sun burnt down to stems and then regrow all new leaves unless I take it gradually.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #5
Direct Sunlight
Tomatovillian™

My plants start getting lighter on the leaves after they've been out for a few days, and quit growing. They eventually come back in the spring but takes about 2 weeks. In the late summer most of them die. I do set them out gradually, sliding them a little further each day from the shade provided by the house. Am wondering if they'd do better with the trays on grass vs concrete, would make it messier to bring in and out of the house in our unpredictable March.
Old March 11, 2015   #6
snugglekitten
BANNED

A few years ago I did my "master race" cruel experiment and waited until 99% of my little ones died from frost. I think it did the trick that I have naturally hardened cold-tolerant germoplasm, but I replaced my monocle and swagger stick with loving kindness now, and am less cruel to the little ones.
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015   #7
spuriousmonkey
Tomatovillian™

I put my seedlings in the unheated greenhouse from 10:30 till 15.00 atm.

That's because before 10 the greenhouse is still frozen and after 15:00 temperatures drop rapidly.

They seem to be fine with the direct sunlight. Did the same last year. But then again, I am far up north and the sun isn't that strong.
spuriousmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015   #8
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuriousmonkey View Post
I put my seedlings in the unheated greenhouse ... I am far up north and the sun isn't that strong.
If the greenhouse has plastic glazing, then that is screening out the UV light. I love hardening off plants under 6 mil or thicker plastic!
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015   #9
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Hardening is mostly about tolerance to UV light. My seedlings will get sun burnt down to stems and then regrow all new leaves unless I take it gradually.
I hadn't looked at it in this way.

Dan