Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 17, 2011   #1
Rainforest Tom
Tomatovillian™

Default flowers fall off before the fruit is formed

Dying Flowers..on Peppers.
Hello, I am growing Giant Tomatoes, several large Russian varieties and lots of very hot and hot peppers in the Amazon... Everything grows great down here all year long BUT I have 1 variety of mildly hot peppers that always have the flowers fall off before the fruit is formed. Is this due to the variety and killer bees refusing to pollinate them or is there something that got into the soil in that variety? The plants are beautiful and healthy I must say though

Thanks!
Rainforest Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011   #2
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Looks like you stumped us, Tom. Would like to see some photos of your amazon garden.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011   #3
RayR
Tomatovillian™

peppers are self pollinating.
Maybe it's temperature related, peppers won't set fruit if it's too hot, some varieties may be more sensitive than others. Haven't got that problem up here.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011   #4
Rainforest Tom
Tomatovillian™

Default Flowers falling off

Quote:
Originally Posted by organichris View Post
Looks like you stumped us, Tom. Would like to see some photos of your amazon garden.

Looks like it could be heat cause it was incredibly hot for several weeks, now the rains begin, it cools down a lot at night like to 72-75 degrees now and I actually have several long green semi hot peppers forming though many flowers and stems are still falling..so sad. maybe I need some geothermal cooling over the plants to drop the temp a bit because after digging a well for watering the Russian toms, it is very cool underground so I will dig and lay pipes. Would love to post some pics as soon as I figure out how to attach them.
My Adjuma Yello Hot peppers are doing great and now mature! There are the hottest variety I have ever eaten and come from the island of Jave I believe, literally take the skin off your lips, I added some to some cassave chips we made down here and took to some relatives in Canada thinking it would causte them to burn BUT THEY LOVED the flavor and asked us to make more for the next trip this fall...
Old May 23, 2011   #5
Rainforest Tom
Tomatovillian™

Killer bees moved into my east wall this week, maybe because they are closer to my peppers they are finally polinating and 5% staying on the plant but likely the heat..?
Old May 23, 2011   #6
Rainforest Tom
Tomatovillian™

Default Heat and dropping flowers/stems

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
peppers are self pollinating.
Maybe it's temperature related, peppers won't set fruit if it's too hot, some varieties may be more sensitive than others. Haven't got that problem up here.
Thanks I think you may be right but it is hard to get away from the heat here, the rains started now so perhaps more will stay on!
Old May 23, 2011   #7
Rainforest Tom
Tomatovillian™

When I try to upload pics, I get a new screen that says I need to add a URL, Is this normal? Thanks
Old May 23, 2011   #8
Rainforest Tom
Tomatovillian™

Managed to get a picture of the latest batch of Killer bees on my Avatar but still working on uploading pics of the gardens,,,
Old May 23, 2011   #9
Bdobs
Tomatovillian™

Really hot and/or humid conditions can lead to blossom drop. Unfortunate, but common, look it up
Old May 23, 2011   #10
Rainforest Tom
Tomatovillian™

Default Test Pics Rainforest Garden

Hope these uploads work. First pic is one of the Adjuma plants and the second are the gourds I picked with the neighbor kids..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adjuma ok size.JPG (354.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Our Daily Gourds..OK size.jpg (172.6 KB, 66 views)
Old May 24, 2011   #11
Rainforest Tom
Tomatovillian™

Default Organics

Quote:
Originally Posted by organichris View Post

Looks like you may be Organic, that's Great, I am 100% organic here only add cow manure and water in the dry season to veggy gardens
Old May 24, 2011   #12
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Several things can cause blossom drop in peppers. In your case I would suspect heat and/or humidity. When daytime temperatures are in the 90s and nightime temperatures are 75 and above many varieties will have issues setting fruit. Hot peppers tend to handle the heat better than sweet peppers. Humidity can cause pollen clump, which can be an issue even though it is a more common issue with tomatoes.

I doubt the killer bees are having much affect. Generally pollenation has occurred before the blossom opens. Therefore smaller bees, like sweat bees, would be more likely to have an affect.

Good luck.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011   #13
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainforest Tom View Post
Hope these uploads work. First pic is one of the Adjuma plants and the second are the gourds I picked with the neighbor kids..
Excellent pictures, dude. Keep them coming.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011   #14
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

flowers and pods on peppers are quite sensitive to temperatures. a difference of 10-12C with peppers will be forced the plant to abandon pods and flowers before they fully mature or even form a pod.
franzb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011   #15
Rainforest Tom
Tomatovillian™

Default Giant Grapefruits Read to pick..

The Grapefruits are lush and huge, ... Nice for desert after a feast of Tomatoes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pampomoose tree.JPG (513.7 KB, 32 views)