Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 2, 2011   #1
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

Default more than two parents?

I often read about a variety having more than 2 parents....how is this accomplished with any consistancy without first creating a stable OP line from just two parents? Wouldn't you get a crazy mess if you were to breed a hybrid to a hybrid?
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2011   #2
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

I may be wrong, but it is my impression that developing a variety is the process of finding one tomato in the mess you so aptly describe with desirable qualities and then continuing to breed it until that desirable quality is stabilized through continued offspring.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2011   #3
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

That is correct, but what I am wondering is if there is a more practical approach that plant breeders utilize. Reproducing desired results this way would be not only improbable but completely impractical. Companies that do this commercially must have an organized version of this chaos.
Old August 2, 2011   #4
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

I think (am guessing) companies that do that simply have enough space to grow hundreds (maybe thousands?) of the plants they want certain traits out of.

If I had the space, I could easily plant a bunch of seeds, and then uproot the ones that aren't growing to my expectations.

I'm sure the companies that do a lot of tomato geneticizing have plenty of cheap labor.
Old August 2, 2011   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.avrdc.org/LC/tomato/hybrid/05sowing.html

In forming a hybrid there are two breeding lines and each line can have up to four prental inputs as described above. The last OP in one line is then crossed with the last OP in the other line to form the hybrid tomato.
Old August 2, 2011   #6
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

thanks carolyn! makes sense.
Old August 2, 2011   #7
travis
Tomatovillian™

Breeders often will use a hybrid as a parent along with an open pollinated breeding line, or do a "4-way cross" of two hybrids, then stabilize the results over 6 or 7 generations before using the F6 or F7 as a parent with another stable breeding line.

For example, NC 50-7 is a "4-way cross" selected at the F7 for use as a parent in NCSU breeding lines and seed lines. It was one parent to the old Mountain Pride (Cherokee x NC 50-7), as well as an intermediate parent in another NCSU tomato named Summit.

NC 50-7 is the F7 stabilized selection from Blazer F1 x (Walter x Florida Dade) F1, two F1 hybrid parents, hence the term "4-way cross."
travis is offline   Reply With Quote