Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 27, 2013   #1
GnomeGrown
Tomatovillian™

Default Shadow Boxing Wavy Blues

These are starting to color up a bit.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3048.jpg (341.7 KB, 167 views)
Old May 27, 2013   #2
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I'm so jealous! Mine are just flowering now. Keep us posted!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2013   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Mine are much much darker. Almost pitch black. Still very small though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shadow boxing.jpg (404.5 KB, 103 views)

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; June 9, 2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: add pic
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2013   #4
GnomeGrown
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing, RedBaron
Old June 10, 2013   #5
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I have one plant in the ground and six more that will go in probably next weekend. The one already in the ground is inside a Wall O Water. It has tomatoes forming, but they are just lightly dusted with blue streaks. At least they are the oval pointy shape that I had last year. Hopefully, that is because those tomatoes aren't getting much sun. Now that the plant is growing up outside the WOW, the parts of the plant that are in the full sun are turning blue, it's strange looking... the plant is green inside and blue outside the WOW. The same thing is happening with the Dances with Smurfs that I'm growing. Fun stuff.
Old June 10, 2013   #6
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Well Robin,
That explains why mine are so dark. The sun is beating down on them pretty good! About time too. The lower areas had been saturated with water so long I was expecting some of my plants to start dying from it. But so far the only thing the standing water seems to have killed is my brassicas. Lost a bunch of them and will be replanting for a fall crop.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old June 10, 2013   #7
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Scott,
You will also notice that they get even bluer at the end of the season when the nights are cooler... both the plant and the fruit!
Old June 10, 2013   #8
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
Scott,
You will also notice that they get even bluer at the end of the season when the nights are cooler... both the plant and the fruit!

They are already black! I was real worried this spring when I set them out. Then they were pure black! Almost threw them out then noticed they were shadow boxing! That's one heck of a shadow!

At least now a tinge of green is finally starting to peek through. I was worried for a while there! Thought I had some kinda black mold on em!

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old July 3, 2013   #9
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

OK Shadow boxing greened up a bit and is now almost ripe. Within days I hope!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shadow Boxing almost ripe.jpg (242.3 KB, 71 views)

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old July 14, 2013   #10
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I tasted my first shadow boxing today! I must say I am impressed. Not quite as good as The Miracle BPF I also had today, but this one is definitely a keeper.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old July 14, 2013   #11
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Scott
Got any photos? I got my first ripe one, picked 7/11. I let it color up on the counter. Taste? WOW. Just wow. I'd give it an 8 or maybe even a 9. I can't wait to taste the next one after I leave it on the vine longer.

Here's some photos. It's got mostly green stripes with a blue blush. This particular fruit was not in the sun though. There are a lot more about this size that ARE in the sun, and they are a bit bluer, so we'll see. I got a nice brick red just like last year... it's a little bit larger than I remember too. There are three other plants are quite a bit farther behind, I hope I find more blue on those.
-Robin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShadowBoxing1.jpg (264.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg ShadowBoxing2.jpg (209.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg ShadowBoxing3.jpg (196.6 KB, 43 views)
Old July 14, 2013   #12
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Scott
Got any photos? I got my first ripe one, picked 7/11. I let it color up on the counter. Taste? WOW. Just wow. I'd give it an 8 or maybe even a 9. I can't wait to taste the next one after I leave it on the vine longer.

Here's some photos. It's got mostly green stripes with a blue blush. This particular fruit was not in the sun though. There are a lot more about this size that ARE in the sun, and they are a bit bluer, so we'll see. I got a nice brick red just like last year... it's a little bit larger than I remember too. There are three other plants are quite a bit farther behind, I hope I find more blue on those.
-Robin
Sorry,
I didn't think to get photos before I ate it. But mine looked exactly like a plum. Almost jet black on one side and similar to yours on the other if you would exchange a smoky blue for what is green on yours. Inside was light red. I'll take a pic of the next one. I suppose I would have given it an 8 if I hadn't eaten The Miracle BPF and a Sun Gold F1 first. The Miracle is exceptional old fashioned full flavored tart taste and Sungold is exceptional full flavored sweet taste. So the Shadow Boxing wasn't quite up to either. But for sure it was good. Better than I expected by a lot! I only ate one blue tomato before and it was a spitter. This wasn't like that at all. I'll take it. Now if I could just get it to set more fruit. For its size it doesn't yield much. At least not yet.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old July 14, 2013   #13
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, now we need to find a combination with great production and great taste (and hopefully bluer than mine.) Last year I had it all...

Shadow Boxing definitely did NOT like the extreme heat we had a while back, so I'm not sure it's fair. My biggest plant does seem to be blooming a lot now that the temps are just in the low-90s.
Old July 14, 2013   #14
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yeah, now we need to find a combination with great production and great taste (and hopefully bluer than mine.) Last year I had it all...

Shadow Boxing definitely did NOT like the extreme heat we had a while back, so I'm not sure it's fair. My biggest plant does seem to be blooming a lot now that the temps are just in the low-90s.
Agreed. My plants have plenty of blooms, but it isn't a tomato for the heat. I bet in a cooler climate it would be a decent producer.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old July 18, 2013   #15
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Scott
Got any photos?
-Robin
First truss finished ripening. I ate the first one but here is the next 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shadow boxing first truss.jpg (102.6 KB, 47 views)

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison