Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 29, 2007   #1
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Default Monticello

Heritage Harvest Festival

Thomas Jefferson Center for Historic Plants
Monticello's Tufton Farm
Saturday September 8, 2007, 10am - 4pm

Our own Craig LeHoullier will be there, as well as many other speakers that are also holding workshops. Please check the link below for details.

I will be attending and look forward to meeting some of you there!

http://www.heritageharvestfestival.com/

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2007   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I wanted to go to this so badly and actually planned to until a week or so ago. We're camping that weekend, though right down the road from our house, and it's my husband's birthday and we're supposed to be whooping it up at the campground Saturday night. I just don't see how I can get back in time for this party. I wish they'd have a festival like this every year. I'm disappointed. There were several workshops I wanted to attend. This party will be fun though. I like camping by the beach.
Old August 30, 2007   #3
jcmorse33
Tomatovillian™

Its practically in my own backyard so I plan to be there. Hoping to get a few ideas to improve my garden for next year.
jcmorse33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2007   #4
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

I'll be going also - anybody else from Northern VA on this list who wants to carpool?
gardenpaws_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2007   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

What a wild, fun, and very, very hot event! Highlights for Sue and I - finally getting to meet a true visionary - Jeff McCormack and his wonderful wife Patty, advancing slides for and enjoying a great dinner on the pedestrian mall in Charlottesville with Diane Whealy, getting to see Rena and Mischka again (and in the case of Mischka, see only - there were so many events going on spread over such a wide area that we never really had a chance to talk!), meeting Gardenpaws....attending a wonderful talk on heirloom apples by Tom Burford (and tasting some as well) - but, man o man, was it hot! I was fortunate to have an early talk - the tent was just on preheat, not yet broil (poor Diane - when she talked it was the broiler!). Anyway, it was quick, it was fun, and we are back home safe and sound. The other good news - people were really excited about the possibilities of the dwarf project - thanks to all SH and NH volunteers - we will end up making available some tomatoes that people are going to LOVE!!!
Old September 9, 2007   #6
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Heritage Harvest Festival

Craig and Craig, Sounds like the Heritage Harvest Festival was a well received event in spite of the weather. I had talked with Ira Wallace early on and she and her crew were working hard for the Festival. I will see her next month when she visits in Kentucky. Hope to hear more from others who were there; what an opportunity to have all you wonderfull presenters all in one location to share your knowledge/experience.
Gary
Old September 10, 2007   #7
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

It sounds like it was a really cool(well hot) event the kind I would love to attend. I see there was a seed swap and everything!
Shelly,
I'm surprised it isn't a yearly thing. Maybe since it went well, they will make it so.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2007   #8
RPostley
Tomatovillian™

Craig, Mischka, et al.-

It was great meeting you both at Monticello! AMEN -- It WAS hot! It seems I was a member of Tomatoville -- I just didn't know it, and didn't have my password... All is well, now.

Gary -- I hate to dissapoint you, but Ira will be unable to get to the Appalachian Heirloom Seed Conservancy conference in October...
Old September 10, 2007   #9
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hey Roger - it was great meeting you; wish we would have had more time to chat. It was a bit chaotic, but fun! Thanks for the seeds, for attending my talk, for your good questions!
Old September 10, 2007   #10
jcmorse33
Tomatovillian™

I had a great time. I enjoyed Craig's presentation and chatting with Rena and Mischka. It was wonderful having a good sized tomato tasting that was close enough for me to make it (I have a 4 month old at home so multi-day trips are not an option). Now I finally know what all the fuss is about with Brandywine! First time I have ever tasted one... along with German Red Strawberry, Yellow Oxheart, Persimmon, Marianna's Peace, Granny Cantrell's German (Pink) Red, Cherokee Purple, Mortgage Lifter, etc.

Now the only problem is going to be deciding how to fit everything I would like to grow into next year's garden...

--Justin
jcmorse33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2007   #11
Rena
Tomatovillian™

What a beautiful place! We spent an extra day at Monticello home and grounds. My Mom -her husband and the kids LOVED it. For those of you that school at home it is a great field trip to take. I did run into some another family that schools at home
Craig's talk was fantastic. I could tell that the dwarf project was as interesting to everyone there as it is to us here. Lots of questions. I hope Mischka can put it on the forum.
I know everyone said it was hot but our family kept saying how nice the weather was LOL. (My Mom is from Florida) The tomatoes were beautiful. My Mom went to the lecture on Heirloom Apples and cider making. She said it was incredible! My children did crafts at the craft tables. I think they were ready for my son to leave the craft area Whole foods had a set up of apples to taste with some free grocery bags. The only problem of the day was lunch (goat burgers)... I did not even try them. I am open to food but I barely eat chicken so goat was just not in the cards
I could tell the leaves had started to turn. I can only imagine what it looks like in October. Wonderful!!

Last edited by Rena; September 10, 2007 at 04:41 PM.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2007   #12
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I might have been able to stomach a goat burger if it had been smothered with goat's cheese. I wish I could have gone. I hope it was successful and they decide to do it more often.
Old September 10, 2007   #13
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

Craig and the (tasting) tomatoes were great, and like Justin, I tried a bunch of tomatoes I'd heard about but not had. My pick to add to the garden next year is German Johnson, but also two peppers (fish pepper from Michael Twitty and a Hungarian paprika which was relatively long and thin, not heart-shaped as I am used to seeing).

I hope Monticello and Southern Exposure will do it again, perhaps with a little more organization and signage. I got to two great workshops, had a 3rd evaporate (?), and was a bit disappointed in the 4th (non-food) class.
gardenpaws_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2007   #14
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I actually sent Ira an email asking her to please send a brief survey to at least the speakers - it was a fine event, but it was the first one, and I am sure that all of us who participated have some good ideas on how to make even better, if they choose to do it again (which they should!). I've not heard back from her yet.
Old September 10, 2007   #15
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

I wish I could have been there! It sounds fantastic to have those workshops and speakers, and I would have been tickled pink to hear Craig talk about the Dwarf Project

Patrina