Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 4, 2014   #1
Bogaat
Tomatovillian™

Default What have we here...

Found some interesting little eggs under one of my tomato leaves today...any ideas? Haven't seen these before...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0291.jpg (213.6 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0292.jpg (167.3 KB, 157 views)
Bogaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2014   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm 99.9% positive they are stinkbug eggs.
Put them in a jar with the leaf and watch them hatch.
Nasty little things, start looking under all of your leaves and you just may find more.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2014   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Get rid of those stinkbug eggs quick! Horrible creatures, and practically indestructible.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2014   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I don't know how indestructible they are. I have been having to spray for spider mites and after the first few sprays I haven't seen a single stink bug. Before the spider mites they were everywhere. I don't know what got them since I have sprayed so many different things in my effort to slow down the spider mites. I have a feeling it may have been the insect growth regulator which I used twice.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2014   #5
Bogaat
Tomatovillian™

I haven't seen any other eggs or sting bugs for a while...I think I got them as well. My advice on the spider mites is to use a horticultural oil or soap. I rotated through a few rounds of M-Pede and Stylet Oil...bye bye spider mites. You need to smother them. My opinion on the growth regulators is that they are good for preventative, but will not give you the results you want with an infestation.
Bogaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2014   #6
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Worth1

I love your idea to keep the eggs in a jar and watch them. If I found some in the garden I certainly would watch and take photos of the growth cycle. That way I'd have a reference for the future and for this site. Here is an interesting site to check out to identify bugs. Bug art
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2014   #7
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

This may be a sort of duplicate idea, as the post I just wrote vanished when I left to get the web link. But the gist of my post was:

I love Worth1's idea of keeping the leave with eggs in a jar. I'd do that so I could study them and take photos as the go through their life cycles. Here is a great site to help identify some insects or bugs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ashe/s...7611045849825/
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2014   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
This may be a sort of duplicate idea, as the post I just wrote vanished when I left to get the web link. But the gist of my post was:

I love Worth1's idea of keeping the leave with eggs in a jar. I'd do that so I could study them and take photos as the go through their life cycles. Here is a great site to help identify some insects or bugs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ashe/s...7611045849825/
Many insect egg clusters look similar the ladybugs eggs are just a different color.

I actually ran across some stink bug eggs as they were hatching a month ago.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote