Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 30, 2012   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default My Peppers for 2012

Yes, I am crazy - but these are the peppers I am now growing for this season:

Sweet peppers - 18 different selections for the Islander dehybridization project (amongst the 5 varieties I named - Amethyst, Royal Purple, Candy Corn, Fire Opal and White gold), Chocolate Bell (another of my dehybridization efforts), Marconi, Italia, Corona, World Beater, Corno di Toro, Purple Beauty, Garden Sunshine, Aconcaugua, Orange Sun, Super Shepherd

Hot peppers - NuMex Eclipse, Sunrise and Sunset (part of a mix of 3 anaheim varieties in a pack - I grew three plants last year and got 1 each of the colors - green to orange, to yellow and to brown - I am growing each out to see how I did!), Fish, Padron, NuMex Vacquero, NuMex Pinata, Trinidad Perfume, Habanero Dulce, Datil, Frank's, Trinidad Seasoning, Tobago Seasoning, Purira, Amazon Chile, Gemstone, Golden Bullet, Scotch Bonnet, Jamaican Hot Chocolate, Bhut Jokola, Ghost, Rossi Hot, Bella, Peter, Chris Dukes Hot (from a customer, family heirloom), the 12 from the Bird/Chiltepin/Pequin mini project, Cowhorn, Corno di Holy Crap, Fatalii, Zavary, Chocolate Habanero, Lollipops, Festival, Buchenberger Orange, Medusa, some unexpected stem colors/obvious crosses, and over 150 from my experime,tal ornamental colorful hot peppers in small pots.

Just wanted to edit to add my thanks to Darrel and Ted and Tom and Linda and Doug and Michael and all of those who contributed the various Bird types for enhancing my collection this year! It's all your collective fault!

Seed saving will be something (and painful if I don't wear gloves!)
Old May 30, 2012   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Ok Craig.....you're definitely going to need a revolving sign nametag after this season - materhead / pepperhead! Wow....that's quite the selection.

And yeah....definitely use the gloves while seeding - maybe even "double bag" it with the gloves. With some of the hotter gloves I've grown I've done that in the past when saving seeds. If you want to make individual chili powder I'd suggest a mask too so you don't inhale all of that high heat....learned that one the hard way too. I have a dedicated coffee grinder that is used just for grinding peppers, garlic and other herbs now. (Although I have to admit a tiny sprinkle of chili powder in the coffee is quite the pick me up too. LOL) The fun comes when you start blending them to see what combos you like. I try to mix in some of the fruitier sweet peppers with the hotter ones for some unique blends.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #3
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

I aspire to reach this level of commitment.

How long to fill the grow bags for just peppers?
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #4
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Two layers of nitrile gloves will be a good idea dealing with seeding the hot ones.. Latex hurt me a few times last year.

I still have about 200 pepper plants to pot up before having a final count of mine this year. It all seems so reasonable in January when they're just seeds.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2012   #5
Atomic Garden
Tomatovillian™

I wish I had the space! I would grow 200 jalapeño plants and have two tanks for my BBQ standing by! I grow other peppers but for some reason I love the jalapeños and serranos.
Tomatoes: Black Krim, Mortgage Lifter, Rainbow, Husky Cherry, Supersweet 100. Peppers: Jalapeño, Serrano, Chile De Arbol, Habanero, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T, Green Bell. Other: Cilantro, Cucumber, Sunflower, Strawberry, Genovese & Lime Basil, Pineapple, Tiger Melon.
Atomic Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2012   #6
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
If you want to make individual chili powder I'd suggest a mask too so you don't inhale all of that high heat....learned that one the hard way too.

Zana

yesterday i minced a fatalii from the freezer that's been in there since mid september. the fumes actually took my breath away! based upon heat, i think the frozen ones lose some heat and so maybe the fumes too in which case look out for the fumes on the fresh ones!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2012   #7
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

@craig: nice list.
@marktutt: I use single vinyl and never had a problem...I could feel it a little with some, but it wasn't an issue.
@zana: I don't make chili powder, but when I process my hot peppers for freezing I do it outside on the deck preferably on a day with a little breeze. At first I did it inside and thought all that coughing when it takes your breath away can't be good for you.
@Atominc: Ever try Jaloro peppers? Do you make ABTs? I do - I get tired of making them but they are so good.

Randy

Last edited by WVTomatoMan; June 12, 2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Takes your breath away NOT takes your break away - silly fingers.
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2012   #8
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVTomatoMan View Post
@craig: nice list.
@marktutt: I use single vinyl and never had a problem...I could feel it a little with some, but it wasn't an issue.
@zana: I don't make chili powder, but when I process my hot peppers for freezing I do it outside on the deck preferably on a day with a little breeze. At first I did it inside and thought all that coughing when it takes your break away can't be good for you.
@Atominc: Ever try Jaloro peppers? Do you make ABTs? I do - I get tired of making them but they are so good.

Randy
I can do a few dozen without issue but I was doing gallons of superhots at a whack, that was what got me. Changing gloves constantly just upped the probability of an accident and eventually the capsaicin worked it's way through the latex.

This year I'm looking at all those peppers growing and wondering what on earth I was thinking when I started all of them.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2012   #9
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

^ mark, hahahah. Im growing around 30 and my friends ask the same thing, IIRC you grow around 200 so yeah, I could imagine. Although it sounds like you use them for many many different things.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote