Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 27, 2013   #1
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Default Where to get galvanized CRW or something similar?

For a reasonable price. I have decided to change out my rusty old CWR cages and donate them to a community garden. I personally do not like the rusty look anymore. I have looked high and low here in Ca. Bay Area! I have been to Lowes, OSH,Home Depot and Tractor Supply and come up empty. I do have specifics I'm looking for. It has to be welded not woven or tied, it has to have a mesh size of at least 5"x5". I would also prefer rolls instead of panels but at this point I would take panels that would fit my specs. It also has to be a minimum of 4' wide.

At this point I have considered buying a non galvanized roll again and rolling it/coating it in a polyurethane to seal it. Alot of trouble but I'm considering it.
I found a roll of stainless steel welded wire mesh but they want 500$??!!

Any recommendations or suggestions I'm open to. Thanks.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2013   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Damon,

I've got about 24 of the 54 inch Glamos cages and extensions that you are welcome to, if the CRF approach doesn't work out.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2013   #3
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Ray- Thank you very much, I'll keep it in mind.

Damon
Old March 29, 2013   #4
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Damon,

If your search doesn't turn up what you want, you could try painting the rusted ones with a paint specifically made for rusty applications. You might have to wire brush off the loose rust first or prime with a rust converter. A good paint store should be able to make suggestions.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2013   #5
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™

This item would be perfect for you:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/7-ft-x-20...6#.UVX-r6JOO8B

But, I can't find any store where it is available, anywhere.

I would try printing this HD page and bringing it to the special orders desk. Maybe they can order it, or find a store that stocks it.

Jim
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2013   #6
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I don't know if this would be strong enough or the right dimensions, but it's just a thought -- welded wire fence.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=Search+All

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2013   #7
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Jim thanks but they don't carry the galvanized anymore. They called the supplier for me to double check. But no luck.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old March 29, 2013   #8
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Carol I saw that and considered it but half the mesh is to small to harvest fruit through.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old March 29, 2013   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

This company makes every type of fence you can imagine. Find what you want then have it tell you where it's nearest retailer is. I got galvanized field fencing in a 330 foot roll because I am using it on my earthboxes to make cages that surround them. It has 6"X 6" spacing except at the very bottom where it's only stem anyway, and the galvanization means no rust, which is good because I didn't feel like making them again next year! http://www.redbrand.com/
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2013   #10
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Marsha is the fencing you bought welded or woven? I noticed the woven or tied locked stuff has no rigidity unlike welded wire. If you are using the woven or tied how are you getting it to support you plants ? I found it to sway and not stand well at all even when made into a cage.

Damon

Old March 30, 2013   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsguy76 View Post
Marsha is the fencing you bought welded or woven? I noticed the woven or tied locked stuff has no rigidity unlike welded wire. If you are using the woven or tied how are you getting it to support you plants ? I found it to sway and not stand well at all even when made into a cage.

Damon

It was woven. It does want to collapse if you try to use it horizontal but holds up very nicely if you orient it with the red wire at the top. Somewhere here are photos of my earthboxes with the cages we made on them. They took our plants up to the6 feet high range, then we had to add some posts for the top growth.
Maybe there are pictures of it in the Florida tag threads but I know for sure there is a photo in Baizenators free seeds trade threAd about his Charles Herring Porters.
I'll try to find it for you tonight, on vacation hiking and cell towers are scarce.
We got a 330 foot roll, made over 30 cages and some left over, works great.
Caution, WEAR GLOVES.
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2013   #12
Paul R
Tomatovillian™

Sportsgut76, I use field fence that some have the small openings. I set them with the small openings up, easy to reach in the top of the cages and pick the fruits.

Paul R

Paul R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013   #13
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Well I have finally found something that I like. But there has been a huge problem in actually recieving the product. I found it at OSH out of all places! It is called Tomato Gard, it is a lighter gauge metal than say concrete reinforced wire but it is welded and either poly coated or galvanized. Its very similar to the common rabbit fencing you find at any home improvement store but the mesh size is 4x6 inch which will work for me. Ideally I would rather have 6x6 inch but I'm ok with 4x6 . But the problem is they have been completely out of stock for over a month! All stores within 50 miles of me are completely depleted . I made a special order for a few rolls and was told it would take 5-7 business days to arrive. That was nearly a month ago! I called the store several times to check in but to no avail. I finally called the corporate office and didn't get any answers there either. They just kept blowing me off giving me no answers. It has been very frustrating! I'm disgusted with OSH. I understand that things take time but they never told me it could be weeks. Finally Yesterday I went to a different OSH to see if by lucky chance they had gotten some rolls in but no luck. I asked to speak to the manager there. The manager there was much nicer and willing to make some calls for me and try to get to the bottom of this. He found out that a delivery of the Tomato Gard had finally been made on May 10 to the main warehouse in Tracy CA which is roughly a 100 miles away. And here it is May 18 and they still haven't gotten it to the store I ordered it from. Aside from going through the actual distributer Prime Source and paying more money for the Tomato Gard I'm at the mercy of their unproffesional services. So I continue to wait and wonder if I will ever recieve that call lol. I will never special order something from OSH again. And if I can help it, NEVER go there again.

Damon

Old May 18, 2013   #14
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying to find something too and no luck yet.
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #15
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Got an email from OSH an hour after my last post notifying me that my item was at the store! Finally!! Lol

Damon