Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 24, 2013   #1
travis
Tomatovillian™

Default WMD-313gf

Have to pick these half ripe to stay ahead of the cottontail rascals.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...99826164_n.jpg

This is a line of purple tomatoes (red flesh stained with retained chlorophyll, and clear epidermis) that I'm working on with a goal of jumbo, smooth, crack resistant, flavorful tomatoes on a semi-determinate vine. One parent is Cherokee Purple.

Last edited by travis; July 24, 2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added info
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #2
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post

Have to pick these half ripe to stay ahead of the cottontail rascals.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...99826164_n.jpg

This is a line of purple tomatoes (red flesh stained with retained chlorophyll, and clear epidermis) that I'm working on with a goal of jumbo, smooth, crack resistant, flavorful tomatoes on a semi-determinate vine. One parent is Cherokee Purple.
Aren't the rascals from river city, not cottontail?

Nice looking tomatoes, Travis.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Bill, then what was it I saw in the 19 pages of mostly unstable varieties at marianne's site called WMD, aka Weapons of Mass Destruction, and why was it called that?

Carolyn
Old July 24, 2013   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Bill, then what was it I saw in the 19 pages of mostly unstable varieties at marianne's site called WMD, aka Weapons of Mass Destruction, and why was it called that?

Carolyn
I'm not going to address that comment in full. Too loaded.

I will say that WMD is a designation for a group of tomato lines that I am developing from an original cross I made using Cherokee Purple. The cross was made, if I remember correctly, in 2008, or maybe 2007. I don't care to look up the exact date at this time.

The goal of the cross is to arrive at a Jumbo, nearly uniform size, crack resistant, purple (red flesh stained by retained chlorophyll, with clear epidermis), smooth, flattened globe with slightly ruffled shoulders, on a semi-determinate, 5-foot vine.

I'm getting very close to the goal with the vines that are producing the tomatoes shown in the photo in the OP.

The only other thing I wish to respond to in your comment is that I have asked repeatedly that others who are growing these lines not represent any results as stable at this time, and not to use "Weapons of Mass Destruction" as a variety name. That was never the intent.

By the way, for anyone who is interested, the other parent was a uniform ripening (u/u) clear pink, slightly flattened globe with pinpoint blossom scar on an aggressive determinate vine. And I have lines that are u/u, both pink and purple, the purple being very beautiful when seen fully ripened without green shoulders.
Old July 24, 2013   #5
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Good looking tomato!
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not going to address that comment in full. Too loaded.

$$$$$

Bill, I did NOT intend to post a loaded question. I just didn't want to go thru those 19 pages again trying to find it and see if the numbers matched.

Perhaps it was a thread here, I'm not sure, but that's where I found out that WMD stood for Weapons of Mass Destruction, which I thought was a terrible name to give a tomato line.

Again, was it here that it was also noteed that there were I think several in those19 pages that had Sumertime as partof the name. And the word Summertime came from a couple of the ones named Summertime Green and SummertimeGold, fromthe Dwarf project here.

It was Grub in Australia who developed them and named them after his new daughter who was named Summer.

Where possible, I like to know where stuff comes from when talking tomatos.

Carolyn
Old July 24, 2013   #7
travis
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Summertime Green and Summertime Gold. They came from the Sneezy line, and like the other Sneezies, they are quite good. My favorites are Summer Sunrise and Emerald Dwarf Champion.

You won't find WMD-313gf in those "19 pages" to which you refer, because this is the first time I've used that designation. It refers to 2013, F3, and the gf gene.

And if you could see the production on these babies, then WMD would not seem so inappropriate. We're talking about flower clusters every other internode with 4 and 5 fruit set per cluster on a compact, semi-determinate vine!
Old July 24, 2013   #8
peppero
Tomatovillian™

travis, best wishes on reaching your goal.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

This is a line of purple tomatoes (red flesh stained with retained chlorophyll, and clear epidermis) that I'm working on with a goal of jumbo, smooth, crack resistant, flavorful tomatoes on a semi-determinate vine.
Yes, what Jon said, Travis. They look beautiful and your goal sounds like my tomato dream.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #10
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Yes, what Jon said, Travis. They look beautiful and your goal sounds like my tomato dream.

kath
Thank you. I guess my goal, in short, is a jumbo Cherokee Purple appearance and flavor on a Celebrity type vine.
Old July 25, 2013   #11
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

What's not to love about a tomato bigger than a baseball?!
Good luck!
Old July 25, 2013   #12
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thank you. I guess my goal, in short, is a jumbo Cherokee Purple appearance and flavor on a Celebrity type vine.
Sounds really great. I am not getting any younger and big tall plants don't really work for me anymore!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote