Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 19, 2006   #1
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Default Grandfather Ashlock

This may be the only large tomato besides the Mazarini I wind up with this year given how everything seems to be working against the garden. Fortunately, this turned out to be a wonderful tomato! A keeper.

lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I think I first grew it 2-3 years ago, or whenever Carl was making seeds available.

And I do like it.

However, I wanted to list it in the SSE Yearbook and never could get enough fruits for good seed production. So all I'll say is that I'd like to see it bear more fruit than I saw, and I did grow it two years in a row.
Old August 19, 2006   #3
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Just finished the last little bite of it as my lunch. They're very meaty and there weren't but a few seeds in this first one. The plant as I've said all along got huge, there are many fruit on it, but it's succumbing to some foliage thing. What with Daisy and Pippi passing away in the last 10 days and all the medical issues for them, my garden just wasn't a priority. I think what's out there would ripen in the house so I'm not in a bloody panic over this one.

Danny the dairy farmer down the road said it was 35 at his house last Sunday. It didn't seem that cold to me but I did pick one Black Krim that had one side good and the other side feels like it was frozen.

Next year, huh? At least I'm starting a list now and Grandfather Ashlock is at the top.
Old August 19, 2006   #4
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Grandfather Ashlock

Lumierefrer.
A fave "Big pink PL for me too here in sw NM. GA has done well in 10 gal pots here in the 100+F heat this yearl!! Hats off and thanks to Carl Ashlock again for a super PL heirloom from his grandpa in KY.

Now I have 3 huge PL Grandpas, 2 pinks and 1 red; Grandfather Ashlock(pink), and my 2 family heirlooms Grandpa Charlie (pink) and Grandpa Willie (red). Only one thick 1/2" slice per BLT sandwich from "these 3 old guys"

My 2 GA plants have yielded 14 "heavy hitters" so far, all between 12 oz and 1 lb 5 oz.

Many people at the local farmers market where I sell my excess "spudleafs" and blacks ask me for them by name and pay $4.00/ lb for all I have to sell (usually about 25lb/week for the past month in 2 hours time). It helps pay for the drip irrigation stuff and all the peat moss, composted steer manure. mushroom soil and other stuff I use to grow tomatoes. "Big boys toys and stuff are not cheap these days"

Best regards,
Spud
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2006   #5
evan1
Tomatovillian™

I echo Carolyn. Great variety, but this is year two for me and I have yet to get more than 5 tomatoes from a plant.
evan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2006   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

A fave "Big Red PL for me too here in sw NM

Bill, Grandfather Ashlock is a deep pink PL, not a red.

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2006   #7
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Carolyn. I was wondering if I was nuts (possible). Mine is definitely pink, a beautiful, lucious pink. It has so many fruit I've had to lash the cage to a 2x4 to try to hold it up.