Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 2, 2011   #1
husker nana
Tomatovillian™

Default Bulgarian Carrot Pepper = 1 - versus - 7 year old boy = 0

What was he thinking? I don't know if he did this on a dare from one of the other children that were here or if he was trying to show off. He's not talking! We had company surprise us last night toward the end of some canning we were doing. After pizza and a pleasant visit, just before they left my 7 year old grandson (and he knows better) picked up a carrot pepper and not only took one bite but he took a second bite. I wasn't in the room when he did this. My 9 year old grandson (near tears himself) came running to get me.

The results of taking two bites of the Carrot pepper was not pretty. Two puddles of vomit on the floor including down the leg of a friend.
Milk, bread, and three popsicles later he said his lips were still hot and he just wanted to take a bath and go to bed.

We had another very long talk tonight and he has informed me that he will NEVER eat a pepper again. Me, I learned to keep my hot peppers under lock and key!
husker nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2011   #2
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

Oh dear...boys will be boys. More than once I'm afraid the words "WHAT were You thinking?" came out of my mouth while raising mine. Of course I realized just after I said it each time that thought had nothing to do with it. LOL

I think it's pretty safe to assume he won't repeat this particular action again!

Come to think of it though, when my daughter was a toddler (small, pre-talking age) she started reaching for and eatting jalapeño marinated carrots when we went to our favorite local Mexican food place for Sunday Linners. Tears ran down her face the whole time as she reached for another and another. We started getting two bowls when we went - one for her and one for the rest of us.

Kids are just weird.

If I'm going to water and care for a plant it had better give me food, flowers or shade.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2011   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

It's been a few years since I last grew Bulgarian Carrot, but I definitely recall how attractive (and HOT) the peppers were.

They look soooo deceptively innocuous and cute - almost like tiny little carrots as the name suggests.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2012   #4
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Someone has probably already talked about how to ease the burn from hot peppers, but I figure it bears repeating for all of us new folks.

When my son was about four or five, I had an ornamental hot pepper plant outside. One day he took a bite out of one and that was when I found out that it was one of those super hot varieties.

We tried milk, bread, and cool compresses. Nothing helped. His lips were getting blisters from him rubbing them. I finally called poison control out of desperation.

Their response? You have to alternate between the hottest wet compresses you can stand and cold milk compresses until the pain subsides. The heat breaks down the pepper oil, which is what causes the burning, and the milk soothes and allows the skin to cool down.

It works. I also do that to my hands if I forget to use gloves to cut my peppers. (but with cool water instead of the milk) You have to use very hot water and, yes, it does hurt a bit, especially on top of the burn from the pepper oil. You also have to do it several times in order to get rid of most of the oil, but it's a lot better than waiting for the oil to wear off!

Just a word of caution, if your hands are still tingling after you are done, then you still have some pepper oil on them, and it's still not safe to take out, or put in, your contacts! (trust me on that one, or you'll look like this guy.)
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2012   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just dont get it since before I was in school my Mom and I would have jalapeno and butter on toast for a midnight snack.
been eating them all of my life.

When we moved to Mo I had a third grade teacher give me a spanking because I brought Tabasco sauce to school in my lunch box.

Worth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2012   #6
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Bulgarian carrot before, so I know what it is like. And yet, some people who post here, not to mention any names like Tom would say Bulgarian carrot isn't really that hot compared to the bad boys. When my son was a toddler, my wife gave him a small cob of corn to gnaw on when all of a sudden he started screaming. She had been chopping hot peppers. She tried checking his mouth to see if something was stuck, and the screams got louder. Then she realized oh my god, I'm doing this to my son. He recovered, but he still won't eat corn.

Keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2012   #7
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
I have grown Bulgarian carrot before, so I know what it is like. And yet, some people who post here, not to mention any names like Tom would say Bulgarian carrot isn't really that hot compared to the bad boys. When my son was a toddler, my wife gave him a small cob of corn to gnaw on when all of a sudden he started screaming. She had been chopping hot peppers. She tried checking his mouth to see if something was stuck, and the screams got louder. Then she realized oh my god, I'm doing this to my son. He recovered, but he still won't eat corn.

Keith

too funny keith! as i was reading thru the thread i couldn't wait to say just that.

well i spent this summer eating fatali peppers and some super hots from mark tutt so yeah bulgarian carrot is not all that hot... but it is all relative. i ate one late summer and it was hot but again compared to what?

that guy tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2012   #8
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
well i spent this summer eating fatali peppers and some super hots from mark tutt so yeah bulgarian carrot is not all that hot... but it is all relative. i ate one late summer and it was hot but again compared to what?
that guy tom
Exactly. Bulgarian Carrot is one of my favorites for moderate heat and fruity flavor.

The discussion of what is hot can be easily cleared up by using Scoville units and understanding regional differences in the heat of peppers.

I have a customer who eats standard habanero straight like most people would eat a cherry. For heat, she uses Bhut Jolokia.
Old January 1, 2012   #9
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

My youngest brother used to eat those little marinated peppers, the kind that you're supposed to use the juice from? He used to eat the peppers out of the jar when he was a little toddler.
He still loves really hot stuff. Most of my family eats pretty spicy food but nothing like that! I'll put one chopped habanero in a large batch of scrambled eggs for my husband and I, mainly because the fruity flavor of habaneros are so addictive.
I'll have to try the Hungarian carrot pepper, I didn't know they had a fruity flavor, too.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2012   #10
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

For some reason, all my peppers this year are nearly as hot as my habanero. My anaheims and jalapeños are scorching hot. Even my husband, who eats raw habaneros on his salad, just about died the other day when he took a small bite from the non-seed end of a supposedly mild Anaheim fresh from the garden.
I thought they were supposed to get milder with redness, rain and cooler weather?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2012   #11
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
For some reason, all my peppers this year are nearly as hot as my habanero. My anaheims and jalapeños are scorching hot. Even my husband, who eats raw habaneros on his salad, just about died the other day when he took a small bite from the non-seed end of a supposedly mild Anaheim fresh from the garden.
I thought they were supposed to get milder with redness, rain and cooler weather?
Were they commercial seeds, or some collected seeds that might have been crossed with something else?